Current Roster of Cannon Builders 2-2-14?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by AP, Feb 2, 2014.

1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Steve - I have heard as much as $250 for a 1/4" triple. It all depends on the maker at this point. The demand is significantly higher then the supply. Now if you have the tools and skill using said tools the cost of them is just the cost of materials and your time.

AP - ah got it haha guess you will just have to build one with a very detailed build log on here then! haha

2. AP

AP Member

Is there a 90 degree quick disconnect fitting? I can't seem to remember seeing one, but that would be a useful animal.

Jstod, I'd like for the closed breech to be the trigger for the cannon. That way, if the thing accidentally fires because of a loss of source pressure, the only thing coming out of the barrels is gas. Safety. It'll be an old Mk-IV design with several twists. Might even be enough to call it a Mk-V. I find it interesting that, when I'm in heavy pain as recently, I can't move a lot, but my head gets to going. I think the last 3 episodes have done more for gun design in my head than anything else.

Makes me jealous of all you 3D printer and home machine shop guys. I wish I knew more than lathe and drill press, and hand tools. Going to dig out some of the old prototypes this weekend and day dream some.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Why YES, there are a number of 90 degree quick-disconnect fittings, I'm using them right now in a couple of boats on the outlets of my regulators.

4. AP

AP Member

Thanks, Tug, that opens up some arenas of thought. Are they versions of the twist lock white ones, or some different animal altogether?

5. Tugboat

Nope, you just push the hose into it. I got mine off Amazon so that I got free 2-day shipping :)

6. AP

AP Member

Got a link? I'd like to take a peek.

7. Tugboat

8. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

That looks just like the stuff that Strike Models sells. Stephen doesn't have pictures on his site of these, but it sure looks like the F-SE- push connect fittings that they sell. I got one with my variable regulator that looks just like the amazon link Tugboat posted.

Amazon has them a little cheaper, but it your already doing an order with Stephen, buy them from Strike and save on the shipping.

9. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

The picture of the fitting that Tugboat linked to looks exactly like what mine do. They are all known as John Guest fittings, and commonly referred to as push-to-connect.

As for the cannons, I have generally stopped giving estimates on when they would come out because I kept getting burned. I've been getting the tooling running on them the last couple of weeks. I now have this part down to about 6 hours of solid machining for a mold: http://www.strikemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/three-ball_quarter_test.jpg .
    I've made several revisions in the last couple of days to keep the amount of material down to what my machine will handle and make sure that pins won't break. This program test was from two days ago.

Stephen

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

So is this so you can mold magazines? will that help drop the cost of cannons once you have them for sale?

11. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Stephen will elaborate more, but here's a link for a surplus mold for a combo golf tee/divot tool at $9600 http://surplusmolds.com/2012.html. Molds help items be cheaper to produce on an individual basis, but they're a bitch when it comes to the R&D time and effort on the front end. Pricing will be coming once we have things more finalized, and it will be along the lines of what we had posted on the site before.

12. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

roger that

13. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

I have been making all styles of guns for 1/72 combat. From basic air release to what is referred to as reverse air release. I make single, twins and triples all rotating (I did make some quads for my Big Gun 1/144 Richielu) The sets of triple's I just made for my HMS Sheffield all have individual air tanks and actuation. My most popular models are twin rotating with a regular air actuation. When I know they are going into a ship that I will see in combat, I charge what my basic material costs are. This really helps build the hobby locally. I imagine I have made 30-40 guns for local ships in just the past year. They are built very custom and meant to fit the individual ship and what the owners desired performance will be. If I was to make them for sale and I did all the custom work that I do on a set, I don't know that $150 would cover making a triple.