Custom Built hulls

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Buddy, May 20, 2007.

1. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi guys I would like to put in here that I have a small side line to help support my hobbie. I have opened up Friends Drydock to building custom wood hulls for RC Warship Combat. I am currently starting work on a USS Utah bulged for james wade. I have quite a few plans for ships that others might not have and have worked up a price list. Also have refs of fellow battlers who are useing my hulls now who can give you the skinny on my ships. I am working also to Finish a HMS Sheffield that started out to be a club ship and maybe going out for sale.The hull is ready to sheet and a brass rudder is being made now and 50 % of super is ready. If you are interested in haveing one done drop me a line and I will send or post a list as to what I have or give you a price on the ship you want.

2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Buddy,

Do you do 1/96 scale? Or just 1/144 scale?

Thanks,

Carl

3. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi there I just have 1/144 scale at this time.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have a few questions about your hulls. First and most importantly, do you have any pictures of your hulls? I am looking for pictures that show the interior, materials, and production quality, along with any nifty features that distinguish your wooden hulls from other people's hulls.

I have a whole bunch of other questions about materials, technique, etc. but most of them should be answered by a few photos. The reason I'm asking is because I have plans for a beautiful 5200GRT Japanese tanker from 1942, CAD-modeled for Big-Gun-legal rib spacing and to smooth out a few mistakes in the original planset. The model measures 35" long, 4.5" beam, with 15 ribs spaced about 2.5" center-to-center. You can see an early version here:
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/CAD-Mehosi-Maru?page=1
    It has since been heavily modified to include mounts for all the guts and greatly improved damage control. I would love to build one myself but I don't know if I will have the time this summer. What information do you need for a price estimate?

5. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Did you make those animation plans or buy them?

6. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

HI Carl
    I can send you pics of the Jap carrier I just finished for Lee Donahue along with pics of the HMS Sheffield I am working on,I am no working on a USS Utah for a gentleman. I can also take pics of my HMAS Austraila Battle Cruiser, she currently has the sides off. Drop me your email address or send me one and I will send what I can get through ok? My Interisland freighter is really close to your plans!
    Buddy

7. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I saw that carrier at the Treaty battle at Ravenna. All I can say is "freakin' sweet lookin' hull". It was absolutely gorgeous. Too bad it was Japanese!

Mike D

8. Kotori87

Buddy, I just PM'd you my email address. You might also want to post a few pictures here, so everyone else can see how good your hulls are. Is there any chance you could give me a price estimate?

lalimerulez, the planset that I linked to above is a re-drawing of a planset I got from a friend. My friend built a ship from his planset, and found out that a few of the ribs were incorrect. So I took the plans, drew them in my computer, identified the problems, and fixed them. Along the way, I also incorporated improvements based on the performance of my friend's model in combat. The majority of them are in damage control and propulsion installation. Hopefully the result will be a ship with a reputation better than "sinks in every sortie". I also made a few minor tweaks to aid construction. Now every deck is perfectly level, and all measurements are in precise fractions of an inch.

9. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

what program did you use on your computer?

10. Kotori87

The CAD software is Solid Edge version 17 (student edition) which uses its own custom file formats. Basically, if you don't have Solid Edge version 17 (student edition) then you cannot use my original 3d object files. Because of this, I made a version of the plans in .jpg format that you can just print off at 100 dpi, which contains everything a regular set of plans includes, with the fixed cross-sections and other stuff. Unfortunately my computer (with all the files on it) has the flu or something, because I cannot start it up right now. I'm getting tech support on that but it may be a bit before I get it operational again.

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Hope you had backups in case of the worst case scenario.

Bona fortuna
    A.

12. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey Crazy thanks for the comments on the carrier! I am working on the HMS Sheffield and she is coming along.Also started working on USS Utah and refitting the USS South Dakota of mine and hope to get to work on HMAS Austraila soon!! I know I have a lot on my plate along with all the honey dos from the wife!!

13. crzyhawk

I wonder how that Sheffied will turn out, she's my favorite British cruiser.

Mike D

14. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Hey Carl
    I might be able to build something in 96th scale.
    What were you interested in?
    If I couldn't find the time to build something for you, then
    I could at least get some 96th scale plans to Buddy, if he is
    willing to build it for you.
    Mikey

15. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guys that sounds awesome carl what were you looking for?
    Buddy

16. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

heyy how much would it be for you to make a Des Moines hull?

17. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guy what scale? Battlers connection makes them in fiberglass, But I have plans for the Balitmores, same units and fire power but shorter and thus better turning ablity.In 1/144 scale they weight about 15 lbs.

18. crzyhawk

The neat thing about the Baltimores is that you get three different superstructure looks with them. One with two funnels (Baltimore class), and another with one funnel similar to the Des Moines, (Oregon City class) and the last is the two funnel CLAA Worcester class.. The Worcester class is not a perfect match, but its very very close. These ships had 12 6" 47 cal DP guns in 6 twin turrets. Also, the Baltimore class hull can be used for the Wright class CVLs.

All in all, the Baltimore is a MUCH more versatile hull as far as what you can do with it then the Des Moines.

Mike D

19. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

I know battlers has them in fiberglass. In 1/144. Im not saying i need one but just what would the cost be? i would rathered preferd to as Zac instead of guy.

20. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

What scale for the Des Moines?
    Mikey