Cutting Edge Ships

Discussion in 'Construction' started by AdmiralBangerBang, Jan 16, 2018.

1. AdmiralBangerBang

AdmiralBangerBang Active Member

I probably won't arm all of the guns at first

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Kongo is longer so it won't turn as well, a big ship with only 4.5 units, not as good for slugging/close battling. If you want to go Axis then a VDT, Nassau, or PE, Allied - I-boat .. is the way to go. Fewer guns means fewer issues to solve pond-side, they only have 1 more gun than a heavy cruiser. Easy to build, simple air system.

3. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I can tell you from experiance that it is more about how you build/setup/maintain your ship than what ship you choose. I have done almost everything the knowledgeable guys here told me I shouldnt do. I started out with a larger ship. I armed it how I thought ot would work best for me. I then went and battled it. To this day, and admittadly 3 weekends of battle does not a Commadore make, It has yet to be sunk and not through lack of captains trying lol.
    The big key to all this is I went out of my way to make sure everything was installed correctly and in a way that I easily can maintain it. All my wires and hoses are loomed and routed not just a rats nest. Everything is waterproofed well. Point is it was my third battle before I had any issues with the boat and those issues were due to my not getting on the maint in a timely fashion.
    Any ship can be a war winner with the rite captain, but not if it breaks down constantly. The best ship on paper is the worst ship on water if it cant sail or shoot.

4. AdmiralBangerBang

OK, then I probably will go build a Kongo. Any threads?

5. rcaircraftnut

I forgot to mention I was 38 when I started battling and have been building rc cars boats planes and helicopters since I was 12. In other words I had decades of experiance with the tools, techniques, and the various systems used in these ships. Being young and having less experiance you WILL be better served by taking the advice of those here who have told you to start out with a smaller ship with a more basic setup untill you gain more of that valuable experiance.

KeriMorgret likes this.
  6. AdmiralBangerBang

Hell, I'm gonna try anyway.

7. rcaircraftnut

I like your can do attitude. Haha. Reminds me of......

ME hahaha.

8. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

good enough for government work. especially if you like it enough to stay interested

9. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

So where are you going to get a Kongo hull?

If you can find a cruiser that interests you, I highly recommend that over a Kongo. I've built several boats in the past two years, and I'm refitting a cruiser right now, and I have been surprised at how simple the construction is for a cruiser verses a larger ship. Cruisers typically have flat sides without casement guns or bulges, so you can cut the ribs out in like 45 min pretty easily. A Kongo hull needs the casements built, which can be a pain and might be difficult for someone not familiar with the rules (or ship construction) to do. Larger ships also require bigger, more expensive components. Larger motors, larger batteries, more guns, more solenoids, more CO2 fittings, more wiring connectors, etc. What's your total budget for the ship? You can spread the expenses out over time, but the initial investment to get a ship operational on the water is pretty substantial (and a lot more than $75)

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. rcaircraftnut

More like $1000+ for a bc or bb.

11. AdmiralBangerBang

The Admiral Hipper is my favorite heavy cruiser. Should I build that?

12. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Admiral Hipper would be a much better choice, BC sells a hull

aleMI likes this.
  13. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The best looking of all the (non French) ships in WW2. Hard to go wrong with that.