D cells

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Sethie, May 4, 2019.

1. Sethie

Sethie Member

Has anyone built a battery pack for d cells where they are removable?I thought you could use rechargeables and in a pinch could use disposables.

2. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

for the price of building that you can get 20Ah LiFe batteries and a charger that runs on your car battery and 110 AC.

I mean, do whatever speaks to your soul, bro. But those LiFe packs are monsters.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Alkaline cells aren't known for their ability to source significant current for extended periods of time, typical draws they are designed for (and associated capacity ratings) are in the few hundred mA range not the 20-30 A range we can easily pull while battling. I suspect building a "pack" out of D cells would work ok-ish on the bench for 5 min of testing and fail miserably if you actually tried to battle with it.

If you want easily replaceable in a pinch either SLAs (haha...probably not worth it) or rechargeable power tool packs like Steve T was trying (which come with a different set of problems) would be the first direction I'd look.

NickMyers and Sethie like this.
  4. Sethie

Sethie Member

I was thinking the same, but I've done a little research on their amp hr rates and it looked like some of them are capable of running a treaty ship. I will prob use sla and maybe make a pack that can be swapped out.

5. pba

pba Active Member

Yes I have used 10ah tennergy nihm batteries in a 5 cell holder for 6 volts d cell will fit in holder for emergency

Sethie likes this.
  6. Sethie

Sethie Member

Thanks guys