Dates/Hypotheticals

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Anachronus, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Same as casements, 1/8" around the port; if they're fully in the normal penetrable area, I'd have to think on it some more.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Seems reasonable, maybe with some provision for a stringer if it is not adjacent to a rib. It could be a flush stringer even.

3. JKN

JKN Member

is there a rool on max # of torps,
    rule, rool, ruel
    :):laugh:

4. Anachronus

Certainly no more than the original ship carried. Usually a torpedo is a one shot 1/4" ball bearing, or metal rod. Hence my Ward could have up to 12. 1 per tube that was mounted on the original ship. It may not prove practical to arm all 12 tubes, so I am expecting to have 1 cannon per mounting or 4.

*I never mock spelling as my own is rather eccentric. Suetonius reports that Augustus was even proud of his own creative spellings.

5. JKN

JKN Member

Oh yeah when I get the Indiana done ill build a 1/96 oi or kitikami!:laugh:
    Run from my 40 torpes mwuhahahaha

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Hmm ... can't say I like the unlimited torpedo tubes idea. I can see a torpedo ship like the one above racing up next to another ship, blasting with or 20 tubes in a single pass, then running away while the poor sucker that got hit with all that damage sinks less than a minute later. Kinda takes away any reason to build anything but a torpedo ship.

7. JKN

JKN Member

I was just thought that had to be mentioned after reading some big gun posts:)
    I would rather build an I-400 with working catapolt than an Oi for that reason, though a ship like the Dunkerque or Richy would be one I am interested in.
    But first I have to finish the Indiana and find any Battlesttion people near me:laugh:

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you guys consider a 3-tube-per-side limit. the WWCC has found through many years of experimentation that 3 is a magic number when it comes to torpedoes. 3 is enough to be a serious threat to even the biggest capital ships (like torpedoes really were) but you won't sink a battleship with good working pump in one shot (because they really didn't).

Anyway, that's my suggestion.

9. Anachronus

I think that is reasonable.

10. mike5334

Was that three tubes with double balls in each? Or singles?

11. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Sorry, just now caught up on the discussino.

I must say, I don't like a 3 torp limit at all.

I've been wanting to build IJN for the very reason that they had a lot of torps, even on the DDs. Taking away the torps makes DDs next to useless, and gives even IJN cruisers a significant disadvantage against the US cruisers. Especially the Baltimore class.

How about something a little less severe, like you can only fire one torp per mount every 5 minutes?

Carl

12. mike5334

Like I mentioned, a small ship like a DD or cruiser with loads of torps would be excessively unbalanced compared to the other ships on the water. One shot sinks will kill the sport.

Personally, I think the three torp limit is viable. Remember, there is no "5 minute" rule in Battlestations. That means a torp ship can fire it's three torpedo cannons and immediately go reload and reenter the battle. IMO, that is better than trying to limit the time per shot for torps. :)
    That is assuming we build torpedo cannons like the Big Gun guys do, i.e. no magazine and reloading by hand.

13. Anachronus

A big gun style torpedo cannon is what I am assuming. Would a rule that limited ships to one torpedo gun per set of launchers be unworkable? A Clemson with 4 triple torpedo launchers would get 4 for example.

14. JKN

JKN Member

why not 4 per side with to balls?

15. Tugboat

Actually, if you read the rules (ahem!), it's covered. You can build Ooi, but to arm the torps, you have to arm at least half (rounding up) of the guns. If a ship had reloads for its torpedoes, it can reload that number of times, with 5 minutes between shots. There are some other provisos and quid pro quos, but that's the rough outline. If a ship had no reloads, then it doesn't get to reload during a battle.

If this needs finessed, I'd say lets get boats on the water and play, then finesse it. Many of us (myself included) need to get off our butts and build, and battle! If someone wants to build a hypothetical, post the name of the ship in this forum, and some sources for the rest of us to look at, and see what the rest of us think. If someone has a strong back and a good orthopod and wants to build Montana, I'll vote yes. If someone wants to build an obscure design study, I'd vote no. But I want us building more than talking (again, I am pointing at ME, not anyone else in specific!)...

16. mike5334

Soooo ... that super destroyer (figurativly) can arm 20 torpedos as long as it armed say half of it's four gun complement?

That is still way overpowered IMO. No ship should be able to sink another ship with a single push of a button. Even double ball bearings in 3 or 4 tubes would be a bit much.

17. Tugboat

Actually, it could arm 40 torpedoes (20 per side), as long as it armed 2 of the 4 guns. BUT... there are a few provisos:
    1) The arming of the guns will be strictly enforced; no cheaping out with one mav to 'fire' both guns. They must be fully armed.
    2) The rules are very clear in describing the launchers, stating they must be scale appearance, and in the scale location. No long tubes hanging over the sides and mad down-angle, making the prospect of high velocities and deep below-the-waterline holes more remote.
    3) This all would have to fit in a ship that weighs 14.76 pounds.

But if the collective wants to put an upper limit on number of torps per ship then I'm game, just suggest something. I think 3 per side is a little low, but what do you guys want to make it?

18. Anachronus

Fear the 1/8" guns on my Ward....GRRRRRR!!!!!!

19. Anachronus

On the half guns armed rule. Round up or down?

20. mike5334

Ugg. So my ship could get hit with 20 1/4" ball bearings within 1 second. An Montana, with it's four triple turrets of 12 guns total, could conceivably get lucky enough to get all 12 rounds on target.

Effectively, that destroyer outguns that Montana. And that is assuming that the Montana can even train all of it's turrets on the smaller ship.

I'm not going to build the Verite. Instead, it'll be one of those destroyers or cruisers with all those torpedos. They will rule the water.