Decent plywood??

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Volkswagen50, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Volkswagen50

Volkswagen50 Admiral (Supporter)

Does home depot or lowes sell a decent plywood for making our boats? I'm working on Steampunk BB, slab bottomed. I am adjusting all the notches in the various pieces in a cad program and need the actual thickness of the plywood so the laser cutter guy can do the cutting and it all goes together well. The rib kit I got from Rcenger was 6mm 5ply, but I'm trying to find a source near the cutter and I'm stuck with either Lowes, Home Depot or having it shipped to him ($$$) There are 2 places in Birmingham that have marine plywood, but delivery may break the price. Anyone have any luck with off the shelf stuff from the big box stores?

2. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

go check out Hobby Lobby or a similar store and look for Baltic Birch Plywood, or Aircraft grade plywood. Those are two types that are of good quality. You can find them at regular hobby shops too.

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

This stuff might be suitable for testing. Some Dudes over at the wooden boat forum have made some small skiffs with this stuff that manage to float.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RevolutionPly-5mm-Poplar-Plywood-Application-as-4-x-8/50121135

4. Anvil_x

Emphasis on "testing" there. Poplar is a junk wood genus. we cut it primarily for pulp, and to increase deer/grouse habitat. I personally have only seen it used in one dimensional application and that was a log cabin in Alaska using wet fresh logs. Birch has excellent grain, and is awesome for veneer (plywood is laminated veneer), so if you want to get something off that Lowes page that Steve linked in, go with the Birch. A lot of the Birch comes from the Chequamegon-Nicolet and the Superior National Forests, and the Veneer mill up toward Ashland. I'm the guy who selects which ones to harvest, and the veneer mills are super selective with regard to Birch logs.

5. Volkswagen50

Ok, I looked at their poplar and their birch. The 5ply birch used a solid poplar core, but has "thick" veneer of birch. The cheaper birch one has unknown ply count, probably 3, and no mention of voids or no voids. Lowes website is not very good. Go to plywood and try to sort by thickness, they list 1 item at 1/4". Search for birch plywood and get several 1/4" sheets of different construction. I think I'll try the 5 ply birch. I've made stuff from poplar and it's pretty soft for a hardwood. Yes, I know why.
    Thanks to both of you.

6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

You used to be able to order cabinet grade birch from the big boxes but sadly, it seems that is no more. I'm lucky in that I have a Woodworkers Supply store local which stocks the good stuff.

Beaver likes this.
  7. Anvil_x

Lucky, Steve. You are very lucky.

Okay so if that's the case, you *could* test it.... but I personally wouldn't do anything with a poplar core. go for either Baltic Birch or Aircraft grade. Baltic is REALLY good stuff. I just bought a load from Hobby Lobby for my next build. it comes in a ton of different dimensions, with no gaps, voids, or any of that nonsense.

8. Anvil_x

Overall, your plan sounds good. tell us how it turns out

9. Volkswagen50

I will. I had to resize all the notches in the plans, that was a little time consuming. I should have a kit together next week.