Deciding on my first true combat ship.

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by ish311, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ish311

ish311 Active Member

having decided to convert the yamato hull i had into the Shinano as even if i windowed it i couldn't use it even as convoy being 1/200(1/144 was just a bit to big to fit in my car when i started building... then i found i had a ski boot...) i need to look at a ship that is already availible in 1/144(while i would love a Yamato it just seems abit much for a first ship).
    i am looking at 3 ships right now
    1.) Kongo
    2.) Nagato
    3.) Mogador

Kongo and Nagato are both high on the list and i might do the Nagato first then do a wood hull Kongo that will probably never have pictures of it here as it wouldn't fit with the timeframe.(might need to do stuff to it for art class that i have to take..dammed school)
    but the Mogador intrests me because it is a zippy-tippy and cost to outfit is roughly what it costs to get the running hull for the Nagato or Kongo. While i could afford to buy and outfit a Yamato i would rather not as i will be unable to take the ship with me for atleast one year maybe longer.
    i do have a Shimakaze hull sitting about 1/8th finished but want abit more experience with building and designing guns due to space constraints and questions about what units it could actually use being one of the weird japanese destroyers covered in torp tubes.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Nagato will draw a lot of fire. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but not really a prime feature to look for in your first ship ;)

3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Read the articles here:
    http://www.portpolarbear.com/reports/index.html

They will help. A lot of it also has to do with the help you can get. If you're alone, start smaller. If you have a vet battler around they can help you go bigger.