Deck Sealing - Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Construction' started by GeekSpeed, Jul 27, 2015.

1. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

HI all!

I am working on a smaller ship right now (I will do a build thread when I get a bit further along) and am considering my deck options. I think, since I want to save weight, I am going to do something like a 1/16 plywood or ABS deck. However, I am not going to the cap rail/deck where you have a 1/8 cap that is glued to the subdeck and a removable deck that fits inside the cap. I was just going to do a single piece that is attached directly to the subdeck. However, I am trying to figure out how to seal this. Ideally I would use some kind of gasket that would seal the weather deck when it is screwed onto the subdeck. I just can't think of something that would work. What about some type of rubberized glue that I brush on top of the subdeck that would then act as a kind of gasket? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Silicone caulk. Put a bead around the edge and spread it with your finger. For a lightweight deck, have you considered thin aluminum flashing?

3. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

You mean like spreading it on the edge of the weather deck that will have contact with the subdeck?

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Yup. I'd suggest putting vaseline on the underside of the weather deck and the silicone on the subdeck. Once you put them together and the silicone cures it makes pulling to the deck off pretty easy and you get a good seal. (then wipe the excess vaseline off everything that isnt needed for the seal and just causes a mess.)

Evan Fowler and Beaver like this.
  5. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Do you reapply the vaseline every time to make a good seal?

6. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I use only silicone 1 it is the stinky stuff (acidic acid smell), it will cure well at normal temp. Silicone 2 has problems curing when air isn't present (like between two surfaces)

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

The Vaseline is there so the silicone only sticks to one side, you don't need it after the silicone cures. You could use it all the time if you wanted but that would probably get pretty messy.