Derfflinger triple side mounts

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by ZARUBA1987, Sep 9, 2020.

1. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

Question about the Derfflinger. From what I’m reading in the rules the ship qualifies for three side mounts? If this is the case You could Theoretically make B and C turrets rotate port to starboard Aimed The same direction within the same quadrants as long as they don’t converge on one another?

just a question I could be interpreting the rules wrong
    Let me know

2. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

as long as they are 14" apart I'd imagine it would be legal, otherwise that breaks the 10J rule under cannons. " Unless otherwise provided in section 11.c below, side firing cannons covering the same side quadrant must be housed in turrets located a minimum distance of 14” apart, measured from the center of the cylindrical turret base. " 11C being the ships allowed 2 cannons in 1 turret for side mounts (Yamato, Nelson, etc.)

3. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

10, j. Unless otherwise provided in section 11.c below, side firing cannons covering the same side quadrant must be housed in turrets located a minimum distance of 14” apart, measured from the center of the cylindrical turret base.
    Well over 14 inches from Bruno to Ceasar.

11, b. Any ship over 40,000 tons standard displacement or over 720’ in length or battlecruisers over 688’ in length may have three (3) side firing cannons in separate turrets. When so equipped a ship may have no more than two side firing cannons covering the same side quadrant.
    She was 690' 3" or 210.4 meters + or - good to go here,,, 57.5 inches via shiplist

So, YES!! she qualifies for 3 sidemounts (until someone else brings up the rule that negates my analysis):laugh::laugh::laugh::whistling:

4. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I think they were asking if B and C turret could be on the same side, which is where that 14" minimum distance comes in at.

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Derf can get three sidemounts.
    You can’t put the two stern turrets on the same side but the bow is far enough away from the middle turret to have them on the same side.
    Best to put the 75rd gun in the farthest stern turret.

6. ZARUBA1987

so B and C qualify for rotates. Provided one gun is in each turret. they can cover the same quadrant Since they are 14” apart.

7. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

You no longer need to rotate sidemounts. Rotating sidemounts is a problem you don’t need.

Kevin P. likes this.
  8. ZARUBA1987

10-4 I was just asking what if. I’m just thinking down the road I’d like to step up from my Doria to something with less free board more fire power. I like the hug and slug. My buddy matt came up with that