Des Moines and Capitani Romani

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Kotori87, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Dan R, Eric, and I went to the Cal-Neva build session on Sunday. Unfortunately, it was just us and Brandon, the club CO. Dan showed off his project, a fast gun HMS Ramillies. I previewed a preliminary version of the Bitondo Bros Productions Compilation DVD and four new videos, and everyone enjoyed them. Everyone else will have to wait until the world premier at the WWCC Fleet Meeting, after which I will post everything on youtube.

Brandon showed us a Des Moines and a Capitani Romani he was working on. Apparently, its the same one pictured on Battlers Connection. It needs a CO2 regulator and electronics and servos, but has a 1 unit cannon, .5 unit pump, motors, props, rudder, and superstructure. The Des Moines has three 1 unit cannons, .5 unit pump, motors, props, rudder, servos, 7 oz bottle (soon to be replaced with 3.5oz) and will soon have a water tight box. He said he was not particularly attached to either ship, and would be willing to sell to us. From the discusion on which ship lasts longer in a fight, it sounds like the Des Moines can be a good fighter. However, I would be able to run the Romani in both Cal-Neva and WWCC events by adjusting the speed (1/16" armor doesn't provide much more protection from shots than 1/32", so I wouldn't re-skin it). What is everyone's opinion of these ships (keeping in mind that we have a tiny apartment)? What would be a reasonable price for ships as far along as these? How about for if the ships were completed and combat-tested?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The Des Moines class heavy cruisers have traditionally given good account in fast gun battles. Lots of firepower for their size and that flat stern...

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I've seen them on video. Impressive ships, nice handling, extremely maneuverable and stable for thier size. I seen one that had a tripple stern quite amazing. It was fighting a Sodak and a NC, and it survived. So high marks for this ship. The only draw back it's really long but it has so many good attributes yeah go for it.

4. Tugboat

Yeah. With the triple sterns, no one can afford to blow you off, and you've got 23 sec speed to keep BB's at arm's length.

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

So, the Des Moines is a good fighter. How about the Capitani? The Des Moines is technically being built for another member who has shown little interest for several years, and could probably be convinced to sell. The Capitani really has my interest because it could be used in the WWCC as well, just by cutting down the speed.

6. Tugboat

Hard for me to get excited over a one unit ship. I have one, but you go out, fire your 50 rounds (or your single spurt), and then it's over. That, and I've never seen a 1 unit ship really contribute in a battle. I did see one get run over inadvertenetly by a friendly, tho, so there's humor value.