Des Moines or Andrea Doria?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by microsoftmissionary, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Different people play for different reasons. I enjoy finding ways to make mediocre ships into more effective combatants. Sometimes the result is a less-mediocre ship, other times the result is beyond anyone's wildest dreams, like the torpedo-cruiser revolution.

DarrenScott, NickMyers and absolutek like this.
  2. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

For the AD, I was actually wondering how they turn. I am guessing they are pretty similar to a single rudder ship, but I am not sure. I SUPPOSE that second inline rudder would help, but I am assuming not much. Anyone have any experience with inlines that can share their observations?

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Since there is no requirement that rudders be of equal size and shape... The typical approach to in-lines is to make the one ahead of the props the tiniest thing possible, and then give all the remaining area to the aft-most rudder. They do have to both operate though.

4. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

While I understand the emphasis on turning, etc , I detest the "best ship" principle on well, principle.
    I have always loved the variety of ships available and being sucessfully campaigned in all formats, and the idea that one ship is the "best" and by inference all others are inferior is abhorrent to me.
    I personally sail a Nelson class in biggun and although technically its far from an ideal ship, I have learned to make it quite a fearsome opponent.
    Why? Because I like the class of ship and I sail to her strengths, not her weaknesses.
    There's something about seeing a pond filled with different ship classes being sailed by people from all walks of life using all types of tactics that gives me a buzz.

Beaver likes this.