Des Moines or Fuso??

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by lalimerulez, Apr 26, 2007.

1. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

which ship is better the Des Moines or the Fuso??

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Kind of apples-and-oranges, and it depends on whether you're looking at fast gun or big gun rules...

3. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

well that all depends. The Des Moines is only a 3.5 ships compared to a Fuso that is 5.5(im assuming by where u r that ur going small gun) now there is a big cost difference there($200). From what i Have read the Des Moines is an easyer ship for a rookie than a Fuso to make and to battle.

4. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

De Moines is 5' x 6"

[​IMG]

Fuso is 4.8' x 8.3"

[​IMG]

But look at the deck & the hull... I'd say the des moines is easier to scratch build.

5. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

So if i put this together you guys a almost simply saying the Des Moines is the better ship out of the two?

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

No. If you're a good skipper in a Des Moines, you can rip apart a Fuso. If you're a good skipper in the Fuso, you'll gobble up a Des Moines. The two ships have different roles on the model battlefield, and you must be aware of those roles before you choose. If used within its role, either ship can be lots of fun. If used outside its role, then it doesn't matter which ship you've got, you'd better get your swimsuit and goggles ready.

A Des Moines is a cruiser. It mostly provides fire support, as well as protecting friendly capital ships against enemy cruisers. It cannot have sidemounts, which are a very useful offensive weapon. It does not dogfight with battleships at point-blank range, unless there is no other option and its skipper is cautious. If you like hit-and-run and standoff tactics, then this is probably the boat for you. It also mandates cautious tactics, so rookies generally survive better in this class of ship.

A Fuso is a battleship. It gets sidemounts, which allows it to slug it out with the other battlewagons at close range. Fuso is also shorter (that means more maneuverable) and bigger (meaning more room to install stuff, and takes longer to fill up with water when you're sinking) than the Des Moines. It excels at taking on (and taking down) other battleships. You can try to play cautious, but as one of the "big boys" there will be lots of other ships wanting a piece of you. You face a steeper learning curve in a Fuso than in a Des Moines.

But the most important question is this: which ship do you like better? Does one look better to you? How did you narrow the options down to Des Moines and Fuso? Do the tactics of one sound more fun than the tactics of the other? If you like one ship more than the other, than that is the ship you should build.

(fast gunners, please correct me if I made a mistake. I'm going off what I've read and heard in the past few years)

7. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

I think u got ir all right on the button there Carl but at the end of ur speal u started calling Fuso the Nagato

8. Tugboat

ugh... l337sp34k on a warship forum.

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

!?
    oops! You know what I mean though, right? it's fixed now.

10. klibben

klibben Member

Des Moines is easier to scratch, but with Fuso's hull design she gets more hard area i believe...

11. Tugboat

I think the Des Moines is a much better beginner ship... like Carl and Jason said, it's easier for new captains to survive in, and easier to build. It has a big, square back end, which makes installing rudder equipment much easier for someone who hasn't built a ship before. I can mount triple sterns, which both simplifies the tactical picture and gives them a real heavy punch. The higher speed allows a swift getaway when necessary.

The Fuso is a great ship for a more experienced builder, and it does get the extra hard area. For rookies reading this and thinking, "I want the extra hard area," that WWI dreadnought (DN) is very low in the water and will be decks-awash (read: SUNK) sooner than a similarly sized ship from WW2 which sat higher in the water.

12. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

So for a first ship and a beginner ship the Des Moines is better? And the Fuso is for more experinced captians and builders?

13. Tugboat

Yes. Des Moines is cheaper and easier to build. You can arm it with triple stern guns, which will make everybody sit up and take notice because they do a lot of damage.

14. klibben

klibben Member

...if you ever hit anything.... haha.

15. JustinScott

A 3.5 boat with a triple stern? I think you'll have a lot of friends in the front. At least no one will want to stab you in the back!

16. klibben

klibben Member

the nice thing with the flat stern is its all hard area...

17. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Yea for me that might take a while. ALso even though this is off topic how would i caculate the speed. Like if the ship can go 23/secs how vould i caculate this into mph? Also how would i figure out how many knots would equal the secs?

18. JustinScott

You missed the rest of that unit:
    23 secs / 100 feet

so invert it:

100 ft / 23 sec

convert to ft / hour

convert to mph

2.96442688 miles / hour

convert to knots

2.57601653 knots

-----

Not sure if this is the knots you wanted? If you want scale knots, then look at your rules where you found 23sec/100ft.

19. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

not those knots but the knots like on the full size ships. You lost me on invtering 23secs/100ft to 100ft/23 secs

20. Tugboat

It's either: go no farther than 100ft per 23 secs, or take at least 23 secs to go 100ft. Pick one. Converting this speed to knots really doesn't do anything for you. The speed listed on the shiplist is the speed it can go. If you want to build an allied vessel, by all means go slower :)