Des Moines

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by TRich19, Jun 28, 2007.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Astern is back.

I think the VDT is the best of the three options you have mentioned.

Mike D

2. TRich19

TRich19 Member

what of those do you think has the best fire power. also if i aimed them all backwords wouldn't i destroy my super structure

3. crzyhawk

With the Des Moines, you place three guns in the rear facing turret. She is a 3.5 unit ship so you can only have up to 3.5 units of guns/pumps. A unit four our purposes can be either a gun or a pump. Most captains set up a Des Moines with a 1/2 unit pump and 3 1-unit guns facing to the back from the rear most turret.

A Von Der Tann is a 4 unit ship. Since she has 4 units or better (class 4) she may have side firing cannons. Most captains set up a side firing gun (sidemount) in "A" turret, a sidemount in "X" turret and a stern firing gun in "Q" turret (the rear most of the "wing" turrets).

Mike D

4. TRich19

TRich19 Member

so i couldnt have all of her turrets set up with 3 guns like it shows in the picture of her

5. TRich19

TRich19 Member

Hey its me i was also looking at the scharnhost or her sister ship what are the oppinions on this ship and what is the most popular set up

Tyler

6. TRich19

TRich19 Member

I also would like to know about advantages of being long

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have a Gneisenau (Scharnie's sister ship), it's pretty good, I think :) I run triple sterns and a rotating forward turret with one cannon in it that I switch from side to side depending on where the bad guys are. It's also reasonably fast (24 sec).

The advantages of a long ship? Hmm... that'll be a short list, I'm afraid. In some clubs, you get more rudder area if you're longer thana certain length. Downside is, you'll still turn slower than shorter ships.

8. TRich19

TRich19 Member

price wise is it worth it

9. TRich19

TRich19 Member

Also couldnt i place 3 guns in the bow turret

10. Tugboat

Yes, and yes.

11. TRich19

TRich19 Member

so i couldnt have every turret set up with 3 guns

12. crzyhawk

No, you couldn't have every turret set up with 3 guns, unless you go big gun instead of fast gun.

In fast gun, every ship has a "rating" which determines how many "units" a ship can have. This rating is determined by the STANDARD displacement of the ship. A unit can be either a pump or a 50 round gun. As for where guns may be placed, a ship is broken down into 4 quadrants. The front quadrant covers 15 degrees to either side of the bow (30 degrees total) The Stern quadrant is similar: 15 degrees to either side of the stern for 30 degrees total. Any warship may have guns that fire into the bow and stern quadrants, and may arm as many barrels firing into those quadrants as possible, assuming that there are units available to do so. Ships which are not allowed 4.0 units or more may not fire into the side quadrants. Models under 60 inches in length (I think this is the correct length, someone will correct me if I am wrong) may not have weapons capable of firing into all four quadrants.

Ships 4.0 units or better are allowed 1 gun firing into each side quadrant, provided there are units available to do so. These ships were historically classified as battleships or battlecruisers...ie captial ships. Most captains set their ships up with one pump, one gun firing into each quadrant and everything else as stern guns. Stern guns are far more effective then bow guns (for many reasons) and thus most captains choose to not cover the bow quadrant with a cannon.

There are two major exceptions to the one sidemount per side quadrant rule. Certain ships are allowed to have "dual" sidemounts, which are two guns in one turret. Usually, these are vessels of 800 ft length or greater. Examples of the ships allowed to do this are HIJMS Yamato and USS Iowa. The other exception are models over 60 inches in length are allowed to have two cannons firing into the same quadrant provided that one of them is a rotate, and that both guns are in separate turrets. Examples of this are HIJMS Nagato and HMS Renown.

As for the advantages of having a long ship: They all belong to the enemy. Long ships are generally not great ships. They are for the most part just easy to hit targets. If you learn nothing else before you start building your first ship, remember this: Turning is life. The better your ship turns, the better off you will be. Short usually turns better then long. Two side by side rudders turn better then a single center rudder. Fat ships also turn better then skinny ones. So, for the best beginner ship you want a short, fat ship with two side by side rudders. The best in the business is Von Der Tann for the Axis. For the Allied fleet HMS Indefatigable and HMS Invincible are probably the best available.

As for the Scharnhorst, I wouldn't recommend one for a first time battler. This game isn't nearly as easy as it looks on the videos. The Allied captains will see that ship and the first thing that will come to mind is "Dinner is served" and they will eat you alive. They can be effective enough in the hands of an experienced captain, but for the most part, they are just juicy targets for the enemy. Since I am an Allied captain, I really wish people built more Scharnhorsts, Bismarcks and Yamatos and fewer Badens, Konigs and Von der Tanns.

Mike D

13. TRich19

TRich19 Member

could you send me some pictures of the invincible and indefatigable

14. TRich19

TRich19 Member

also what do yu think of the uss south dakota

15. TRich19

TRich19 Member

some pics of a south dakota would also be great

16. TRich19

TRich19 Member

so if i was in big gun rules i could have every turret with 3 guns

Tyler

17. TRich19

TRich19 Member

Lastly if i had a south dakota could i have it set up with 2 guns in each turret and no bilge pump?

Tyler

18. TRich19

TRich19 Member

after reading what you said i understand a ship under like 60 in cant fire into all four quads however a south dakota is a 6 class ship and under 60 in so can it have a gun shooting on either side

Slightly confused
    Tyler

19. Tugboat

Arming every turret on a Des Moines is not really that easy. You need room and weight for batteries, drive motors, pump, etc.

As for your question on the South Dakota: No pump = dead. Not maybe, and not even a question of when. Soon. Within 5 minutes of the start of battle. Every bad guy on the lake will come for you, because they'll know it'll be a free sink. No fun at all. Also, the South Dakota can't arm more than one sidemount per turret. So each front turret can carry no more than one gun (firing to the side).

There are very few "nevers" in choosing how to arrange your units (guns/pumps), but choosing no pump in a warship is a definate "never".

20. TRich19

TRich19 Member

okay so what do u think of a south dakota and what would be a good setup