Destroyer Squadron Tactics

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by AdmiralBangerBang, Feb 14, 2018.

1. AdmiralBangerBang

AdmiralBangerBang Active Member

Has there been any tactics or strategies for destroyer fleet tactics? If we had a squadron of, say six Moggies or Fletchies, we would have enough firepower to engage a BC or BB and concentrate our fire on one ship, while the ship under attack would need to split fire between all six ships. Just an idea!

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Orrrrrr the 5 or 6 captains could build a real ship and have a fleet battle.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  4. atomicpunk235

atomicpunk235 Member

Argonaut, Kotori, Gascan, myself, and some others ran the "Candy Cane Express" and were unstoppable. The ships were 144 scale light cruisers armed with torpedoes. I am pretty sure there was not a single BB, BC, or anything else that could withstand the onslaught. It is such an effective battle plan it made any other formations useless. Many times a handful of small ships decimated numerically superior forces of heavier tonnage ships. So many ship went down I lost track.

The basic idea was to concentrate on a chosen target and not let up until it was sunk. It is very important to have a plan of attack that deals with the traffic jam caused by having so many boats in close quarters. If a lead boat could not get off the shot they had to pull off and circle around to make way for the trailing ship. If there were five attacking light cruisers, a BB would have to absorb up to ten torpedo volleys. Most BBs could take three volleys and have a 50% chance of surviving. Gascan and Kotori kept statistics they may have better figures.

It is also important to engage the target when they are a fair distance from home port. This way they could not run for cover and make it after only taking one or two volleys. You can approach from the rear, match speed, creep up, count to three, and fire. Or you do the bump and run. Approach from the side angle, turn off at the last chance, go rail to rail, count to three, and fire. The actual shot is not as important as landing the shot and not blocking your squadron mates from having there shot. The rear approach, two boats abreast was the most common, but not the only way.

As time went on the attacks became more creative. It really is quite brutal, but then again so is war. I argued for many years that a light cruiser was the number one big gun boat to have for combat.

BTW you don't need a squadron of destroyers to take down a BB. Kotori, Gascan, myself and others have sunk BBs with our light cruisers single handed. It is just alot easier, and less costly when you have a wing-man.

5. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

I have sunk many cruisers with my Invincible.

6. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

In a fast gun scenario, the strategy could be effective....... IF
    1. The fleet of destroyers were reliable. (not so easy in such wee little boats)
    2. The captains were competent. (Not a rookie maneuver)
    3. It would be a points win. Very unlikely that the destroyers would actually sink the battleship.

You would have to convince veteran captains to invest time and money into building destroyers, just to prove it could be done.

7. atomicpunk235

atomicpunk235 Member

what kind of weapons would the destroyers get.

8. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Check the rules for the different types of combat

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

10. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

I think the guys down in Georgia might have enough destroyers to meet your criteria, particularly considering some of them retired from their capital ships to destroyers due to back issues.

11. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Back issues seem to be the major driving force towards smaller liter components and ships. Tech wise anyway. I love it. I can build a capital ship nice and lite then add ballast at the pond with tanks inside that free flood. I truly think this is the only way I will be able to keep building the big un's.

12. Anvil_x

pics when you do.

13. rcaircraftnut

Was going to try it on my 1/96 P.E. but with all the guns that ship is getting I may have to use lead. Heavier than water you know, lol. But when I get my hands on the Iowa I will be looking to do it on that ship.

14. Anvil_x

@rcengr did it with one of his rigs I think. seems like a good way to go.

15. rcaircraftnut

So I have heard, just need to get togher with Mark and see what he did and if it will work for what I want to do.

16. AdmiralBangerBang

I think that I might build a Gearing as my second ship, just to try it.

17. Anvil_x

get the first one cranked out, little brother. then we'll work on the rest of your squadron.

18. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Destroyer tactics.... Getting more than 2 captains to follow a plan...
    let me just leave this here...
    [​IMG]

FYI, I have a destroyer so I know what I am talking about...

19. AdmiralBangerBang

Ok then, what about a cruiser swarm? would that work?

20. Anvil_x

get your suffren on the water and try it out with some friends.