Details on MACHO LCG gun

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Beaver, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Seems there's some interest in my Low Center of Gravity guns I built for the Tromp. Posting up the details for those that wish to copy. These guns are low profile and allow the Tee to lay flat, keeping mass low in the boat.

So, here's the gun. The breech, uptube, and magazine can all be customized so I'll only focus on the Tee assembly.
    IMG_20200606_144226.jpg

Inside is a 5/8" stainless piston with a length of my spring. (Any appropriate gun spring works) Piston is running horizontal, pushing BB's back from going up to the breech.
    IMG_20200606_182951.jpg

Gas is supplied through the end of the cap. Placement of the magazine gas supply is critical. It must be forward of the piston base. This makes sure the piston is already moving forward before the magazine obtains pressure, eliminating spurts.
    IMG_20200606_175638.jpg

Now to the feature that makes this gun work, the selector magnet. A magnet is placed on the side of the tee to pull a BB about half way into the uptube. When the gun is fired the piston will push this BB upward while pushing the rest back into the mag. Placement of the magnet may take some trial and error but once you have one good one you can measure the placement and nail it on the next tee, all things being the same that is.
    IMG_20200606_175626.jpg

And there you have it! In my trials, these guns have performed well. They fire just as fast and hard as any other gun with almost no hiccups. They're ideal for destroyers of small cruisers where top weight is a concern or space is tight.

Hope someone finds this useful. Feel free to drop any questions and I'll try to answer them. And if you come up with any improvements please post them!

Attached Files:

rcaircraftnut and Panzer like this.
  2. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Beaver likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Very clever!

Now build a jam elbow gun :p

WillCover likes this.
  4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Not sure I'm familiar with those. How's it work? Lol