Determining rib location

Discussion in 'Construction' started by bluenevus, Aug 20, 2017.

1. bluenevus

bluenevus New Member

I have a set of ship plans and have learned from this site how to use the hull lines to create the ribs. My question is, how do you determine where each rib goes along the length of the ship?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Depends on various factors, such as what rib thickness you plan to use, how much solid area you plan for bow and stern, and other specifics of construction rules. Some formats give you a % of hull length that can be solid, split between your ribs and bow/stern area, while others have more specific rules about allowed space between ribs of a given thickness. Which format are you building for?

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

not sure I follow the question?
    if you created them from hull lines, then they need to go where you took the measurements off the hull lines for each frame

4. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Blue, to clarify... if you pulled ribs from plans, then the rib location is defined by those plans. The spacing and width of the ribs define the shape of the hull. The hull lines you pulled from plans are labelled (A,B,C or numbers, or whatever), and also included in the plan is a side-view of the ship indicating where those ribs are located.

You have flexibility in laying out ribs when cutting a fiberglass hull, since the entire hull is already present & you're just opening windows in the sides.

5. bluenevus

bluenevus New Member

I'm using the plans for the HMS York (1941) 1/350 from Profile Morskie. The hull lines were given with the bow/stern halves side by side. No numbering or labeling. Just the contour lines.(12 in all). There is a side view and overhead view of the ship as well but I don't see anything indicating where to place the ribs. I could probably guess fairly well using the width of each frame and landmarks on the ship but thought I may be overlooking the correct way to do it. They are quite small so I was thinking of using maybe 1/8 inch wood.

6. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

If you scan and post a pic of the side view &/or overhead, I can see if I can spot the markers. There have got to be some, hull line drawings are useless without them

7. bluenevus

bluenevus New Member

Thanks for the reply. Here is a link to the plan. It's offered as a free sample.

http://www.blueprintsofwarships.com.pl/YORK_350_NEW.pdf

8. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Ah...that Polish company. I also count only 12 distinct profiles / ribs. And I stand corrected, there ARE no markers. Only way to use them in this case would be to very carefully create your 12 ribs from the hull lines, ensuring your dead-on for accuracy in mirroring. Then invert (turn upside down) each rib and see where along the overhead view the beam matches up. That's your rib location.
    According to the handy-dandy rib calculator program (http://southeastattacksquadron.org/...ern=1.000&rib=0.250&RE-CALCULATE=RE-CALCULATE) and using 1/4" ribs, you're allowed 20 (or 13 using 3/8"). I'd suggest duplicating the outermost rib from the forward profile, place it at the break of the raised foredeck. Then dupe the outermost aft profile rib for any further needed and space them along your hull to provide shape and support.

***NOTE*** all this presupposes that you've already enlarged and printed the plans at the correct scale.

9. bluenevus

bluenevus New Member

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I think your method will get me close enough for my first scratch built hull. I wonder if all of Profile Morskies' plans are missing this important detail? They are in the plans business you know.

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'd hazard a guess that the book the plans reference contains numbered/lettered frames and markings along the profile of where they go

11. bluenevus

bluenevus New Member

Can you recommend any good books that have these detailed plans of say battleships/battleruisers?

12. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The full set of plans will have what you need. I purchased the HMS Barham set and they were helpful in my build. The PDF versions are averaging $15US. Just buy a set.