Diaphragm Pumps?

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by modelshipsahoy, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Oh snap, yeah I forgot about the muck layer. yeah that pond had some deep muck even on the shore. Tell you what though, if there isn't a strong westerly or sou'westerly blowing, that alternate pond would be Perfect.
    The depth stays at the 2-3 ft level and sandy out for approximately 30 yards or so (@kgaigalas correct me if I'm wrong here). I wasn't worried at all when we were looking at that pond last month.

Probably correlation, unless there's a lot of dogs pooping in the area. if that is an input, then yeah, you might have gotten a bug from going in.

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Probably a lot of Axis dogs dumping who-knows-what into the water! ;)

3. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

I am not sure we have a perfect lake anywhere at this time.
    I do like the Michigan pond (it is deep)
    The NATS pond at Bradford is shallow, muddy I just posted a video of Matt trying to retrieve his boat
    he was able to find it with a little luck.
    Tennessee you could lose your boat forever.
    The Michigan pond is deep but we can see our boats in 8' of water (a big help)
    Also deeper water - no weeds

Panzer likes this.
  4. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

Yea!... I have several videos of Craig,@Panzer, DOLPHINING around playing ketch with something!:laugh:

Panzer likes this.
  5. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Tell you what, Saranac's still ahead of Chanhassen in a lot of regards, particularly the clarity of the water. Yeah, it'd stink to go diving after a boat in like september or october, but you could see the whole bottom with little difficulty.
    Chanhassen has a better depth, but the water's turbid all the time, and those blasted weeds made the anthem for the fall battle just one long chorus of "30 second moss".

But, look on the bright side. they're water that is collected in such a manner that we can put boats on them. they're all going to have their quirks.
    Once I finish recon and get clearance from USFS, we'll add Newman Lake to the list of quirky places we do quirky boat stuff at.

6. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Saranac is dangerously deep. Not all of us are at the age where diving 10-15 feet to retrieve a boat is an option.

Oakboro can be waded across and the jogging path is guarded by a Russian princess.
    Wandy

thegeek and Kevin P. like this.
  7. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

I do believe some one retrieved your boat for you at saranac, and we are fortunate that we have enough people who are willing to help wherever people need help in this hobby.

kgaigalas, WillCover and Anvil_x like this.
  8. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

I really don’t know any of you guys too well yet, but you are the most gentlemanly group of smartalecks I’ve ran into of all the hobby groups I’ve delt with this far. Looking forward to you all ganging up to blast the snot out of me soon.

kgaigalas likes this.
  9. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I assure you there are parts of Oakboro that cannot be wadded across without going underwater.

10. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Yes Kaz put on his flippers and snorkel and got my boat as he had promised.
    And don't get me wrong , I voted for saranac cuz shipping my stuff to NC is not cheap. But, I feel a lot more comfy in shallow water ..waaawandy

11. kgaigalas

You seemed comfortable on the beach when I got your boat;););););););););););););););););););););););)

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Recovering people's boats for them in deep water is great fun for people who like wreck-diving. I did it all the time back in California, in 8-10 ft of water, with visibility usually around 3ft. I would bring a lifeguard rescue buoy for safety, to help with the larger wrecks like SS Normandie. A lost submarine is difficult, but doable. Put some alka-seltzer tablets inside a hollow superstructure and you have a trail of bubbles to help locate the wreck. Install a buzzer that activates upon water intrusion into the hull, and you can home in on the wreck just by listening. Plenty of options if an emergency float isn't acceptable.

Personally I've never understood why Fast Gun submarine skippers always go for the static-diving designs with ballast tanks. It's an unnecessary level of complexity and risk compared to a dynamic-diving sub. Yes, dynamic divers require forward motion to submerge, but so what? you have much better control, and it floats to the surface when you stop or lose radio. Static divers require pumps (prohibited by current rules), CO2 (a limited resource needed for the cannon), or other complicated space-consuming systems. I have fought with and against several Big Gun submarines, and every single one of them was a dynamic diver. I've also several non-combat submarine modelling events, and seen a multitude of submarine systems. Dynamic diving (diving planes plus forward motion) is the way to go.

Anvil_x likes this.
  13. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Oakboro is generally shallow, but by the fountain it gets manly. NC BBQ can't be beat . Motel is cheap. Food is available near pond and around the motel. Tractor supply and Lowes across from motel.

AND AIRCONDITIONED BATH ROOM AT THE POND.

Panzer likes this.
  14. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Surcouf
    Surcouf bow planes are well above the waterline when surfaced.

15. kgaigalas

You are a better battler than I.
    I have never been able to battle from a bathroom.;);););)

Panzer likes this.
  16. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

As you get older, any trip to the bathroom can be a battle. :bang:

thegeek likes this.
  17. thegeek

I judge the venue by the quality of the accommodations. Oakboro has all the moving parts, insert bowel jokes here.

Panzer and kgaigalas like this.
  18. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Isn't there also a sonic or something right next to the hotel (dessert for breakfast, lunch and dinner)

19. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

And they have car eating trees.

thegeek likes this.
  20. thegeek

Yes sonic in the front with young ladies on rollerskates serving the finest Mercan fare.