FastGun DKM Bismarck

Discussion in 'From Stem to Stern: Warships In Detail' started by SnipeHunter, Dec 22, 2015.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

What angle of prop is that? I think I’m currently using a 40 degree.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

It is a 2.5" pitch prop, no idea what angle that equates to, the angle of the blades changes with the radius as well.

tgalx3 likes this.
  3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

2.5" prop means it's a spiral that travels 2.5" in one full 360-degree rotation. To find out the angle at a given radius, you'd have to *shudder* do MATH! (cue dramatic sound effect)
    I hope you don't mind but my brain has done too much math today already. I think it has something to do with tangents or sines.

4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

math isn’t scary anymore. I got through Calculus and am starting physics this fall.

5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

What I really want to find out is if I should get a new prop for my Bismarck. In the short test drive that I’ve done it seems like the acceleration was worse than others I’ve seen. Then again, I personally haven’t seen a Bismarck on the water, outside of YouTube, in about 11 years.

image.jpg

6. SnipeHunter

Yes, I would. No reason not to try a different prop. That could help. Maybe it will make it everything you want it to be, maybe it won't. There's more to it than any one component.

What motor you use, gears/direct, system voltage, ship weight, surely some other stuff in forgetting, all that can impact your acceleration.

Prop is important but it isn't them only part of the system.

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

fair enough. I’ll just be patient and enjoy the process.

8. SnipeHunter

If you don't want to get a new prop just yet at least cut the cone of that one and shift it back closer to the rudders. Probably won't make difference on acceleration (it could help little, depending) but it can help your turning a little.

Also highly recommend either cast props or lots of spares. That's not a super common prop size for someone else to have a spare of and if you do drop a blade in the first sortie the rest of the event isn't going to be nearly as fun unless you're a real glutton for punishment.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    tgalx3 likes this.
  9. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

That’s a good start. I’ll take some video when I have solid test day.