DKM Graf Spee or IJN Mogami to start off with?

Discussion in 'General' started by Admiral Where Did He Go?, Dec 28, 2016.

?

Graf Spee OR.......Mogami

Poll closed Jul 28, 2017.
  1. Graf Spee

100.0%
  2. Mogami

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Admiral Where Did He Go?

Admiral Where Did He Go? Member

Hey guys/gals i was wondering what my first ship should be. In 1/144th scale. I have looked at the German and Japanese cruisers as a first ship to build and have consider the DKM Graf Spee and IJN Mogami cruisers. I would like to have at least two rotating guns on the ship (because it's me :p) so I would need to know if they both be able to have that or only one of the two?
    If you think there is another cruiser that i can do this to let me know please.

Thanks Admiral

2. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Cruiser guns can't rotate (IRCWCC)

3. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

You might want to get in touch with @Bob Pottle as you are in Nova Scotia. Maybe @CURT can chime in on who else might be in the area.

I know Ralph Coles makes hulls and is also in Nova Scotia but I don't believe he frequents these forums. I can send you his email if you are actually interested in building a ship. Buying locally will save you huge as postal rates for sending a hull from either Washington state (Strike Models) or Florida (battlers connection) really suck.

4. Admiral Where Did He Go?

Where in Nova Scotia as I'm near Halifax also could you give me his email so j can find out where he is located

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  5. Admiral Where Did He Go?

Is the IRCWCC rules or the type of playing just to make sure

6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

International R/C Warship Combat Club, Inc. (IRCWCC). It's the original and largest combat club. Most of the battlers in your area are IRCWCC affiliated I think.

Rules and more info can be found here: http://ircwcc.com

There's also a Yahoo group were more of the IRCWWC members hang out: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IRCWCC/info

7. Admiral Where Did He Go?

Ok thanks for the info. I will read over the rules a bit more. Also why can't cruiser have rotating guns ??

8. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

For safety reasons narrower ships cannot have side mounted guns (rotating turret can be a side-mount depending where it's pointed). Thin ships role to much and can point side mounted guns above the horizontal (a big no-no). Don't fixate on rotating turrets. They offer little to no advantage. Check out some battle videos for fastgun play and you will understand.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ircwcc

9. Admiral Where Did He Go?

ok now i get it just could figure out why you weren't allowed to have them on cruisers.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I used to run the Nabs ( North Atlantic Battle Squadron ) in Nova Scotia based out of Halifax and Dartmouth. There are still some fellows there that have combat ships. They have not been active in a long time . Some of them are here on the site. Bob Pottle, Paul Mckinnon, still have ships. Paul has several and so does Bob but I believe Bob had to sell some of them to make space. Paul had a few some in refit. Ralph Coles no longer makes hulls anymore. However some of his work is still around . Chris Osborne is in Saint John NB and he has the Veneto and the Musashi along with the Seydlidtz. Most of the group is basically defunct now. John Coffill lives in Winsor Nova Scotia and he had several combat ships as well. I do not know if he still has them. Best bet is to Contact Bob and Paul on this forum and see if they are planning anything for the summer season.

11. Admiral Where Did He Go?

already done he he he :)

12. Admiral Where Did He Go?

hopefully it will come back to Halifax again.

13. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Also remember in real battle cruisers can not go up against battleships.
    Side-mounts are battleship weapons.

14. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I'm in regular contact with Ralph. He still makes hulls but has stopped until late April when the weather warms up enough to resume production in his unheated shed. He has a new hull available that has been requested for years. I'll let you know what it is when I get permission.

Admiral Where Did he Go has been in touch with me but wants to build a heavy cruiser from scratch, which could be a challenge with no local club to assist. He's not interested in the heavy cruisers I'm refitting to sell: HMS Cumberland/Suffolk and probably SNS Canarias. They are models I made using my Kent/Canarias Class hulls (now sold by Strike) and have fiberglass decks with plexiglass or Lexan hatches. Both are being resheeted, gutted and rebuilt with identical internals to my standard design (interim owners changed things quite a bit though the drive train installation wasn't changed). I'm completely replacing the Cumberland's superstructure and a fair bit of Canarias'. When finished they'll be sold at bargain prices, with Futaba Skysport 4 channel radios. Info will be posted on this forum.

NABS is effectively 'dead', with no battles since 2008 and no club meetings in almost 7 years. Paul, John and I met once several years ago and talked about reviving the club but nothing came of it. Paul has at least 2 battle-ready models but I don't know if John has any. Steve is out of the hobby completely though still has the battle ready Fiji Class cruiser I rebuilt for him and an incomplete Vanguard. A fatal blow was the loss of our battle site in Dartmouth about 7 years ago. I doubt we'd be able to obtain another permit due to concerns about liability.

With no local club activity I've decided to get rid of one or both heavy cruisers, the completed 3.5 unit armoured cruiser HMS Minotaur, and Rodney and Vanguard hulls, made by Ralph and me respectively. Each battleship has main turrets (and Rodney has secondaries made by Ralph), plus fiberglass decks ready to be installed. The Vanguard hull is the first from the mould I sold to Strike and is extra thick (1/4" to 1" below the waterline). Hull windows have been cut out on Vanguard but not Rodney.

Also for sale will be a couple of HMS/HMAS Albatross hulls plus the hull mould, a Furious hull at a fraction of retail price (again the first hull from a mould sold to Strike), CVL IJN Ibuki (partly completed with all types of (pre-painted) planes that it was to have carried), and maybe the Class 1 monitor HMS Gorgon. Ibuki is built using a much modified Ralph Coles Mogami hull and there is an extensive construction photo thread on the site.The only models I plan to keep are light cruiser Profintern and HMS Indefatigable (both under construction).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  15. Admiral Where Did He Go?

now i understand the liability about the ships and concerns for the public safety around them. But are there any lakes, ponds, or any slow bodies of water that are not in high dense population areas that could be used??. Would a pond on someones land work?.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

You may want to contact members of the Maritime Modelers Guild and see if they have site locations or if they may have members or know someone who has a pond or home near a lake or pond that I part of their property that you could use. Check with Maritime Hobbies too as they may have info on the Guild or they themselves may have info. There is a former Nabs member who has a home on a lake in Mount Uniacke. He used to have a North Carolina. I know he sails his sailboat on the lake where his home is located. Possible he may have some insight or maybe use his section of the lake. If you can find someone who has a large pond on their property that would be better . I have have Peter number but I can message him through facebook and see what he says.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well now I am up to speed on that. Thanks Bob.

18. Admiral Where Did He Go?

I do know someone in my family that has a pond that is roughly 120 feet long and about 45 feet wide. But he is in his late 70's and my not approve of it :(. it's also no where near Halifax (about 110 km give or take) so for anyone further than Halifax would be almost not worth it.

I will talk to him but i'm pretty sure i know what the answer will be unfortunately but who know's anything is possible.

19. Admiral Where Did He Go?

what if we use an old in ground pool. would that work, i dont know anyone who has one or is crazy enough to even think about it but it is an option.

20. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Chlorinated pool water is bad for electronics, as are many other methods of keeping pools sanitary. I have sailed in pools before, for shows and demonstrations, but would not consider it for battling. Also, not all pool systems can digest steel bbs...