DKM Graf Spee

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by bb26, Jul 22, 2020.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I am planning to finally get around and start building my fibreglas Graf Spee hull. I have had this hull for over a decade and it is time i got it on the water. It wont see water this year as i am rebuilding my USS Tennessee and working on SNS Espana. But i do need to order parts. The question i have is how long of drive shafts do i need? My fear is that i will end up mounting the motors right where the cannons would be. I have a single motor dual output gears. Any recommendations on shaft length?

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Atm I'm looking for the Graf Spee plans I bought for Ralph to use for his hull mold as I have a buyer for them. If I find them this week I'll do some measurements re possible shaft lengths and motor location. A good thing about the GS is that the aft turret isn't on the quarterdeck so you've got an extra deck to keel space of ~3/4 ".

You may not have space to move the motor much closer to the center of the hull. If using BB cannons in the outer positions of the triple turret, you can make upfeed tubes with a sideways bend to clear the motor and use straight mags. If using a triple stern gun set up and a 400-500 series motor you'll probably have space issues with the center gun.

If I remember correctly the two Graf Spee Class ships in NABS used dual motors and were able to squeeze in triple guns.

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

With the unavailability of getting parts in a relatively timely manner, i figure i will turn the Graf Spee into a runner rather than a combat boat. Since triple stern cannons wont be installed then i can go with my single 550 motor running 2 shafts. I just have to measure and then build from there.

4. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I have direct drive 555’s in mine with triples. The front of the motors is about 1” forward from the T’s, the T’s come down in the area with the dogbones but I have dogbone covers the keep the hoses from fouling

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Nice. I am also considering going direct drive with a pair of 380 motors. In all joking i have a pair of 775 motors. Turn the graf Spee into one of those hydrofoil racing boats :)

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

What parts are you having trouble sourcing

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

With Battlers having supply chain issues, getting cannons will be more difficult as well as shafts, props, pump and speed controllers. I think i may be able to source the motors elsewhere. Once i get my 3d printer working i believe there are files for a pump. I can always use the speed controller from my other runner so that they share. I think i can build my own shafts. I would use a 1/8 stainless shaft and put it in a 3/16 brass tube. Not necessarily ideal but workable. I have some dog bone and collars to either direct drive or connect to my dual output gear box. Then attach a 550 motor

8. GregMcFadden

There are lots of sources for hardware to build everything but cannons pumps and props. see mcmaster carr. various sources of escs are available depending on your waterproofing experience. with a 3d printer, cannons and pumps become much less an issue, really leaving only regulators and prop.

9. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

What did you hear from BC? I recently ordered a large pump. It did take about 3 weeks but I got it.

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I have heard very little fron BC. I have one order still not shipped since Oct 5th. Another from early november which is 3 weeks and i have heard nothing.

11. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

Thanks. Didn’t know if they had specifically stated certain products were going to have issues or if just the whole operation was slowed down.

12. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

If certain products are not available they should be listed as out of stock.

13. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I ordered dope and silkspan in late July and they arrived 2 or 3 weeks ago. Just wait patiently, and they probably will get it done.
    I remember hearing about some supply issues somewhere, but by that I think they just mean delays.

14. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Almost all of that equipment can be sourced elsewhere:
    • Shafts - Mcmaster- this is 12" part number, can get alternate lengths - https://www.mcmaster.com/1257K39/
    • Oillite bushings - https://www.mcmaster.com/6338K562/
    • Stuffing tubes - K&S 9/32" diameter - local hardware or hobby shop, search online
    • Props - Kessler's shapways shop - https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rc-warship-tech
      • Can also ask online, many people have spares
    • Pump - Ask online or order from BC
    • Speed control - Hobbywing 1060 - search online, plenty of sites have in stock
    • Cannons - pick up fittings from local hardware store or order online from plumbing supply distributor - I use blackhawk supply, parts for a gun come out to about $8 - 9 total
    • Motors - ebay (search RS-540, RS-550, RS-555 as desired based on RPM/voltage)
    For this ship specifically, I would try to keep weight low, so direct drive. I started with 380's but went to RS-555's at 12V and was very happy. 380's can turn a prop up to 1.25" 3 blade direct drive, but this boat can handle 550 can's so thats what I would recommend, I burnt up several 380's before switching

GregMcFadden and Beaver like this.
  15. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Solenoids?????

16. GregMcFadden

Spartans work and are readily available.

Gettysburg114th likes this.
  17. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Do you have a link?

18. GregMcFadden

19. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

20. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus