dkm Lutzow

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by sinkin321, Nov 28, 2009.

1. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Hi Guys: DKM Lutzow has been started and is now under way. The ship is almost ready just waiting for the Strike Models ss kit to arrive.
    This will be done as a treaty ship. Could i get a bit of help with units and speed? the rest i can handle.

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi John,
    To get the Treaty speed subtract the Lutzow's top speed from 60 to get speed in seconds/100'. For example, a 30 knot ship will have a speed of 30 sec./100'. Treaty speeds are slower than IRCWCC but have a greater range, from the minimum of 38 secs. for ships that were 21 knot or less to 23 sec. for exceptionally fast ships like the 37 knot Abdiel Class.
    I think the Lutzow is a 3.5 unit ship. Unlike IRCWCC rules it can carry 2 x 1.5 unit guns, leaving 0.5 unit for the pump.
    Bob

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Lutzows work well in Treaty. Although a couple knots slower than the fast battleships, the ship can out turn most of the big boys. During the last fall regional, I spent about 10 minutes chasing a Lutzow. I could catch it, but the Captain did an exceptional job turning at exactly the right instant to stay away from my guns and get a running start away from the Richelieu. Fun for everyone! Heh.

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Yes, the Lutzows are 3.5 unit ships, and the .75 gpm pump only costs .5 units. So you have 3 full units to devote to guns, whether its 3 50s, 2 75, or you can even have a single massive 150 round gun if you wanted.

5. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Well I like the idea of the two 75 round one bow one stern so thats what it will get, beside the fact that i have the guns ready to go. All i need now is the ss from strike models which should be here any day i hope.

6. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hey John, never under-estimate the fun of a triple on a maneuverable ship!! Steve C enjoys his triple set up, the stern is pretty low so you can get some nice waterline shots in the large bow of some bigger ships.
    J

7. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I plan on setting my Graf Spee with twin sterns and a single bow gun. The twins pack a nice punch aft, and I enjoy the flexibility of being able to attack from the bow if I wish. At the treaty conference, a lot of people were surprised by the sounds of BB impacts on their internal armor from 20 ft away with the Salem. Guys were like,
    "I can't believe you're hitting from that far away"

8. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

John
    Conways lists the pocket-battleships at 28 knots. So that would be 32 seconds/100'
    They are certainly a fun ship to run if you want to frustrate everyone of the allied team.
    As Mike said. They are slow enough to chase, and sometimes catch. But they have a knack for turning out from under your opponent's guns.
    Happy hunting.
    Mikey

9. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Mikey: I know they are fun as this is the second lutzow i'v had. the first was a long time ago when i first started in the hobby and then was sold to someone in OAF and i thought i would not want another one but you just never know. 32 seconds 75 bow and a 75 stern, thats it. I need the ss and the ship will be on the water and if it is this warm out it may be tested in Dec.

10. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Stike Model parts have arrived. The full turret and ss is all there and will be put in place this weekend i hope if not it will be put together the first part of next week. I now have one ship for irc ( Mogami ) one for treaty ( Lutzow ) and one to be used in both - Tirpitz which can be switched buy just changing pump out let and disconnecting one gun as well as setting the esc. I am now ready.

11. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Well, the ship now looks like a ship. All turrets have there barrels in and the ss is ready to be installed. Ship was left floating in an indoor pool for 6 hours and no water inside. hull is now painted and ss will be installed when i get home in a few days. internals will be set and guns installed then to.

12. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Slight set back today as I shorted out the motors faor the haip and now must remove and replace them. The ss is now done and ship is ready for detail.

13. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're making good progress John. It'll be great to have another Lutzow in the NATCF/NABS fleet. In the early days of NABS we had 2 of them in action..
    Bob

14. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Yes it will be nice to have one again. I kicked my butt for selling mine years ago, but thats life. This one is strickly NATCF format, as I have Tripitz and Mogami for NABS.
    The set back was worst than i thought as i took out one battery and the reciever as well as the motoers ( don't leave it running while making coffee) I have a few more recievers but i will have to pick up the motors and battery this week.
    I have found a way around the 4oz bottle for now with the walmart 4oz capsules and the addaptor that they have. Banchie sells a 1/4 turn valve that is perfect for the adaptor and it may make the bottle and valves a bit long they will work. This means that the roberts is now another option for treaty as the ship has been ready to go for two years, and only needed the bottle to be totaly combat ready.