DKM Prinz Eugen, first build (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Fridge, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that you need to reinforce those ribs. The hull looks good thickness and it's just a cruiser so the amount of damage it takes will be way less than a boat with sidemounts

modelshipsahoy likes this.
  2. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

You're correct, Ted said the same thing this morning. I will be using some rib backers to hold up the deck, but it won't be for reinforcing and won't need it on every single one like I thought. The plan we talked over today is to back every other rib and the front and back center of the hull with some 1/4" by 1/2" sanded to the interior shape of the hull, and use those as mount points for the deck. After that's mounted, start planning the water channeling and prop shaft placement.

modelshipsahoy likes this.
  3. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

Ships coming along great. It’s a learning curve for sure. I’m glad to see you found something better then the cut off wheel I lent you. I will take that up on on future builds. Don’t hesitate to call or text. I love to shoot holes in new ships woohoooo

4. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

Update, with some pictures. Here's last week's progress;

1) Fixed the armor belt width. It still spans the whole boat at this point, but it's all correctly 1/8".
    IMG_20200203_194922636.jpg
    2) Brushed out many pieces of wood with West System. Hung each from a small eye hook and "clotheslined" them from some weed wacker line to dry. These are going to be used for the deck supports and water channeling. IMG_20200209_144707940.jpg
    3) Made some rib backers for the purpose of creating a footprint for the subdeck to mount to. I was lent a profile gauge and a 1" belt sander to make each of these from 1/4" by 1/2" basswood. Many test fits were needed to get them to fit relatively well. These were also strung up, epoxied, and later, stuck to the inside. Was recommended to take the Dremel drum sander before mounting the deck and remove some of the lower width to allow for a bit more space when installing all the innards.
    IMG_20200210_152702469.jpg
    4) Fixed the armor belt. I forgot to double-check the blueprints for the exact locations, and the back armor belt should be about an inch farther, and I should have moved that rib to accommodate the length. Well... live and learn. Always measure twice. :)
    IMG_20200210_190714008.jpg IMG_20200210_190731607.jpg
    That's it for this week. I'm currently sick, so progress will be slower for a bit.

modelshipsahoy, ZARUBA1987 and Beaver like this.
  5. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

WHY IS EVERYONE SICK! I know it is sickness time but like EVERYONE IS SICK.

6. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Like dude what ever, cause, we don't wash our hands. Then we stick our infected hands in our mouth or nose.
    Then we trade biology with people we wouldn't talk to!
    Humans can't live with them some times.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  7. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I hopefully will be able to get to a battle or two this year. DKM Scharnhorst needs some first though. And I really want to get the 1/96th scale DKM Prinze Eugen at least done enough for sea trials. Would be nice to see some action close to me but I will be happy with what I can get. Lol. Great job so far on your project. Hope to see it at a battle soon.

8. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

Haven't updated the build in a while. Work's been going slow due to midterms week, various school functions, a lengthy drive to San Antonio, and BOTH my girlfriend and I were sick within the past two weeks. As of today, work continues on the ship! The plan is to get the channeling finished, the sub-deck fitted, and the prop shaft hole drilled to mount the shaft. Next weekend, I'll upload pictures of progress.

9. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

Yesterday's progress;

Got some of the prop shaft fitting done, with a before and after from drilling, and some angle placement with Ted's help.
    IMG_20200308_102548_01.jpg
    After some fine dremel sanding, the skeg base was then a bit lower and the shaft could rest a bit lower, and the prop shaft could be moved back a bit. The prop may need to be moved back some more to account for rudder, I'm not sure that it's far enough forward. I was suggested to cut a bit of the glass to and reglass the section to fit, but otherwise that's where it sits at the moment.
    IMG_20200308_102701_01.jpg
    After some planning and drilling, I started the subdeck placement. A lot of my standoffs are too tall and needed sanding, and the subdeck needed a lot of fitting to get to work. It still needs a bit of work, but it's 90% of the way there. Some of the standoffs are too tall still, and the fiberglass lip should be 1/8" over the top of the wood throughout when done.
    IMG_20200309_173608264.jpg
    This is where I stopped today. Busted a belt on the belt sander and don't have a spare at the moment, need to go get some more.

Litch42f and Beaver like this.
  10. Kevin P.

Are you coming to the brouhaha? Boat looks great

11. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

I wish. :( Spring break is this week, so even though I get out early at the end of semester (and have a lot of extra time to build this week,) the timing for the Brou doesn't line up for me. I am looking forward to watch the recordings that Ted takes, though.

12. Kevin P.

Too bad. I’ve got spare boats if that’s a concern

13. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I LOVE SPRING BREAK (sorry that was a bit unrelated)
    Making great progress since I last checked this thread. I really love Prinz Eugen and your build is great. keep up the progress.
    All this sickness is getting annoying
    At least the Coronavirus canceled my debate tournament allowing me to go to a battle to test out my kitakami.

Edit: then coronavirus canceled my battle, so I still didn’t get to test Kitakami

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  14. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Hey Fridge.
    I love that little lady.
    Nikki

15. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

I can't wait to get Prinz on the water. :)

There's no college for the rest of the semester on campus, it's transitioning to online only. I've got a ton of time at home for building after online classes, and with the "stay at home" stuff in my county tomorrow, I don't really have anything else to do, so hopefully I'll be able to get a lot of work done on the build.

This past week, I've done a lot of work on the subdeck, most of my time was taken to get the thing level, I've gotten it pretty much level throughout. The subdeck was trimmed to 1/2" from a full inch, now there's an extra inch of hand space to work inside the boat. I'm working on moving back one of the braces, I feel like it should be closer to C turret and not so close to the mid superstructure, and I'm touching up the fiberglass with some gelcoat, I've banged it up a bit and need to fix the tip of the bow. Next I'm probably going to work on making a "rim" for the deck to set inside with some 1/4" x 1/8" and try to make a deck in the near future. It's hard getting a picture that doesn't look like it already does, I'll post more later when I get some progress done.

16. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

Got a lot done last week. Here's an update.

Made a cradle for the boat to sit in. My car's not very big, needed to make sure it would fit without superstructure on it. With a seat down, It'll work.
    IMG_20200323_145929_01.jpg
    Cut, sanded, and glued the holders down, gave it a good coat of epoxy. Was told that I needed to cut longer pool noodle padding. I want to sand it smooth again on the surface, something I can do next week.
    IMG_20200330_104913205.jpg
    Did end up moving back that crosspiece, now there's more working room inside the hull, It's closer to the rear guns now. I did end up cutting it with a hand saw, sanding carefully, and scabbing it to the underside, making sure not to have it block the windows. The opening on the center subdeck is almost 20" by 5" on the rim, tons of space to work in. I'm hoping to get all the things that need accessibility here, and stuff that doesn't need it can be put under the front and rear hatches.
    IMG_20200325_131416_01.jpg
    Made a rim for the topdeck to set inside. Just used some thin wood to line the interior of the fiberglass, pinned it with binder clips. I think it was 3/16" by 1/8", should've used 1/4" by 1/8" (if I had any.)
    IMG_20200326_120845_01.jpg
    capped the bow and stern sections with some ply, and then used tape and tracing to find the rough sizes of my deck. Made sure to cut outside the lines.
    IMG_20200326_132223_01.jpg
    After some trimming, (and a lot of time on the little belt sander and hand sanding,) rookie's first deck is done! Really proud of how this turned out.
    Resized_20200328_170130.jpg
    That's going to get epoxied and sanded this week, and then I'll take it all out (it's not glued down or anything) and mount the shaft after some fiberglass work I need to get done. That was all for this week.

What kind of material would y'all recommend for superstructure on a ship like this? Whenever there's nothing I can work on, I'll try to chip away at it. There's a LOT of superstructure on the plans.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    dcweather, Beaver and Litch42f like this.
  17. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Fridge, your ship is really coming along. I like your progress.
    Keep the photos coming.
    What plans are you using for the superstructure? I'd recommend the detailed profile morskie plans of the Admiral Hipper class. They have better detail than Goff plans.
    Mark

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  18. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

Right now, I have the Profile Morskie plans for Hipper. The extra two sheets of superstructure detail is really nice. Because it has so much superstructure, I'm not sure what building material would be good for this to keep the weight down. I have 1/8" and 1/4" thick balsa from old plane builds I could use, but that would get chewed up pretty fast and I don't have enough for the whole thing.

19. Kevin P.

I recommend finishing everything else before spending time on superstructure

For Ss You want to keep it light. Materials to use include foam from the interlocking floor mats or yoga blocks, it won’t absorb water. Can use 1/8 ply for the bottom and second levels if you want, but need to be careful about weight. Can use balsa at the very top levels, but it will take damage

20. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

Sounds good, I'll try using puzzle mats, I've got a few left over from using them as kneeling pads. Superstructure definitely isn't high on the list of priorities, but there are going to be points when I'm just waiting on things to come in the mail and have nothing else to do. For now, getting the prop shaft in after fiberglassing is done, and then getting the sub deck mounted down are my priorities. Thanks!