DKM Scharnhorst (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by pacific, Apr 13, 2019.

1. pacific

pacific Member

Got the hull, decks, hull tape, and plans from strike in the mail today. The hull is really nice, only a little warp in the stern and the bow is a little chipped but nothing that can’t be fixed. It begins.

Attached Files:

2. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

Hmm there are some noticeable differences between your hull and my BC one

3. pacific

pacific Member

What do you mean?

4. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Nice deck kit. Looking forward to watching this one!

5. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

I'm building a Scharnhorst currently as well, just fiberglass the shafts in this afternoon

Attached Files:

6. pacific

pacific Member

I’m currently in the middle of a move so I had to put this on the back burner a little. Finally got to the lake today to float the hull. Didn’t think to tape the weight down so it kept shifting. The waterline seems to be a little under where the armor belt is modeled into the hull. I’m going to tape off the hull for the ribs tonight or tomorrow and post pictures of that. I will also be bringing it to Oakboro on the 27th. The thing that blew me away was how little force was required for it to move. Cuts through the water like butter.

Attached Files:

Beaver likes this.
  7. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Be aware some of the plansets around for the Scharnhorst show the wing propellers in the wrong location. They are positioned side by side with the center propeller, not an inch or two forward of it. About half the Scharnhorst plansets I have are wrong.
    Ron Hunt

8. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

Yea I found that out after I installed my shafts, I also bumped on so they aren't even like symmetrical.

jch72 likes this.
  9. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Bummer. You aren't the first to do that. I did it more than once before I got a better plan set and looked at a picture where it was in drydock. I can confirm that it doesn't really matter to performance on the water.

10. pacific

pacific Member

Did some sanding on the decks in preparation for going to Ron Hunt’s to build a little tomorrow. The deck now fits into the subdeck beautifully.

Attached Files:

11. pacific

pacific Member

Did some work on the ship today. Worked on fitting the deck rim into the hull. It wasn’t thick enough (1/4 vs 3/8ths) so I glued some shims onto the sub deck so we could rivet it to the hull. Left it to cure before I sand it some more for an even better fit before we epoxy it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019