does anyone know anything about this ship?

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by U571, Jun 6, 2009.

1. U571

U571 Member

I found this picture on google listed under "surcouf", but to me this doesn't look like the surcouf...could someone tell me anything about it?[​IMG]

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I have never seen this photo. But it looks like someone who really likes the Surcouf, built a mock-up and drives it around.
    Very cool.
    Mikey

3. U571

U571 Member

from the little bit I've read about this it was supposed to have been built before the end of WWII...

4. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

It looks all off in terms of proportion. It looks to be a photoshop edit w/ a Surcouf Conning Tower. The lower portion looks like to me U-155 which was the converted Duetschland. The bow looks to be WWII era. And the conning tower seems to be over where the engine rooms should be.

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

You're right, that's probably a photoshop job. Now that I look for hints, there are visible breaks at the bow, stern, and superstructure. The water on the left and right of the ship might be different, too, but there's not enough detail to be sure.

6. phill

phill Active Member

The turret does not match the shape for the Surcouf. The front of the turret was much rounder and the gun barrels were much higher. There is no trace of the aircraft storage cylinder aft of the tower. In addition, the porportions seem all out of whack. It may be a case of the picture being badly squished horizontally.

7. JKN

JKN Member

In a way the stern looks some what like that of a jet boot along with the wake. (one that scoops the water and thrusts it out of the stern, not one that uses actual jets just incase someone thinks that is what I meant.)

8. Superarp

Superarp Member

I agree, total photoshop job

9. Superb Cat

Superb Cat Member

It is of the Surcouf, French 8in gunned submarine built just before the 2nd world war and sunk accidentally in a ram accident. also looks like someone squashed it to fit it to a page in photoshop, the angle of the photo and the squashing job makes it look all wrong with funny turret face and bow but once lengthened it puts all the wake and tturret and bow back into proportion.

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Its not the surcouf. The surcouf had a straight bow and didnt have a netcutter on it like that.
    The submarine pictured is the fictional submarine I-507 from Lorelei, Witch of the Pacific Ocean

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. zbond007

zbond007 Member

looks like a sub to me that ship the germans were building at the end of the war were there is a conspiracey that there was actualy one finished and used in the last months of the war but im not sure

12. WannabeBB

WannabeBB New Member

The ship is actually real! go to wikipedia and search it up, its the world's largest submarine!

13. WannabeBB

WannabeBB New Member

Untill the IJN built the I-400

14. Funnyman4Lyfe

Funnyman4Lyfe New Member

Naval Captain would be right, I took the time to look it up. Here's a pretty good lookin' picture. Look's legit as well.

[​IMG]

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

No, he's not right. Thats not the same ship. See my earlier post on this thread.

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Zbond, the photoshop job in the original post is a trick... they photoshopped a kind-of Surcouf look onto a modern yacht (most clearly ID'd as a yacht by the shape of the stern and the foc'sl). The lines are all wrong for a sub of any era. Not that I know subs or anything ;)
    This photo has fooled a lot of people of the last couple of years so don't feel bad.
    Other giveaway is the plethora of mini-bow-planes around a set of full-size bow planes. Whoever did it was a good artist but lacked a background in marine engineering, or submarining (more likely lack of both) :)
    The ship pictured above here is MN Surcouf, a decidedly French sub, which was much smaller than the Sen Toku class subs.

17. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

If no one mentioned it before that looks like the submarine from this movie.

http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/kamikaze/films/japanese/lorelei/index.htm

EDIT - I should probably read threads before posting. :)

18. JKN

JKN Member

I found a model of it it is called the I-507
    [​IMG]