Double-Shot Firing Boards

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by jadfer, Sep 16, 2010.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I am sending this out to gauge interest in a new firing board I am considering having made. I had been trying to find a way to cut down on radio box clutter and size and found a board that was nearly ideal. I worked with the MFR to modify the firmware to suit our hobby and tried them out. At the time I just wanted some boards to solve my problem but I mentioned it to some folks that liked the idea and thought that others may want some as well.

I have been testing them since last year and have used them at the Brouhaha 2010, Tangler 2010, Nats 2010, and Throwdown 2010.

They are very small and can run two guns (or buttons, or turrets) on one switch. This means I don’t have to run a y cable connecting two firing boards on one channel. This means that you only need 2 boards to run 4 gun buttons or 1 gimbal (up, down, left, right), so 1 board per channel.

Much like any board of its type it can be used to drive any small inductive load like a small motor, automotive relay, or solenoid and you still need a flyback diode (in4001 or in4004). I have been using one of these to trigger an automotive relay that runs my pump and used this at the Tangler 2010, Nats 2010, and the Throwdown 2010.

I have run them off of main power, main power and a bec, and a separate reciever battery with a bec with consistent results.

There are no dip switches so they are very easy to water-proof and come from the factory with a minimal silicon conformal-coating. I have been giving mine a heavy 2nd and 3rd coat of silicon conformal coating for water-proofing and they work great, even in my leaky radio box.

I am working on getting a 'retailer' to carry them or I will sell them direct. In the example of my Baden, it would only need 2 boards so a max of $64 for firing boards.

One major difference will be the input voltage, it will support up to 24V input voltage which is ideal for you 6.4v, 7.2v, 8.4v, and 9.6v guys. The only reason I run a bec is for the firing boards right now (the beta boards only support 6v max) but I will be able to run the receiver and the rudder servo at the higher 6.4v LifePO4 voltage in the future.

The max load is 3.5 amps which is enough for triple sterns, in our hobby you wont need more than that unless you have a quad stern.

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

Thanks

Double-shot-compare.jpg

Double-shot-wired.jpg

2. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Looks great, are you coming to SE Regionals? I would love to see them in action.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Without a driving partner I doubt it. You mean Rob's event right?

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

John S is on your way, pick him up and bring him along.

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I will talk to him about it. Im not sure that pond can handle any more badens!

6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Just watch the YouTube videos. I've seen them at each event he listed. They worked great. I heard a lot of complaints about his pump not priming, can't turn, can't stop. Listing, too heavy... But never here anything about his gun boards not working. His guns sound killer, he had an expert make them, now if he could just aim them...

The board work great, cheaper and smaller the TD. Get some.

7. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Hey! I think I was aiming pretty well this past event. I am improving.. not a crack shot.. but improving.

8. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

More Badens the Better. If I make it my KronPrinz needs some good support.

9. moose421

moose421 Member

Johnnys and my boat fired just well at the thrown down. Both managed to sink Bob's Kongo.

Kim

10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to make it but I cant. I will be moving in October... but larger boat shop! BONUS!

11. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Well my set of firing boards has come full circle twice with no problem. They started at Brouhaha 2009 and were used at the Brouhaha 2011. Even though I got a batch of 6amp switches, I ran the 'beta test' boards that had a 2.5amp mosfet and they did fine. I still have 4 of the original 7 test boards (3 went to others in trade) and still use them, they will be at the Tangler this weekend.

They are slowly creeping out into the MWCI so if you have them, let me know how it went.

Thanks,

Johnny

12. moose421

moose421 Member

Well Johnny, battled with them at the first PPB battle. Worked beautifully. No Problems at all. They will be in the Marb at the Tangler.

Kim

13. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

I have replaced a set of TD boards on my California with a double shot board. I have been using them in our monthly battles here in SCRAP & I could not be happier. They are also very good as relay triggers for drive systems.
    I am recommending them to my build clients as well.
    Harry

14. phill

phill Active Member

Digging through the assorted parts, I came across a pair of the double shot v1.0 boards. As I may finally have time to put them in a boat, I was wondering if anyone has the diagram that goes with them. As I recall, they need a diode on one side and I have no clue which pins are which any more. Thanks!

15. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I have the instructions in PDF form but I have no idea how to post it in a reply. Send me your email and I will send it over.

16. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Just click "add images" and it is one of the allowed uploads. Or post it in resources and then it is easily found.

17. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

18. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

It is now approved