Drag Props and Debate (Split from Seydlitz build)

Discussion in 'IRCWCC' started by Beaver, May 3, 2017.

1. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

It seems that the "Spirit" of this rule has been being violated for quite some time : ( Looking that the ships that I bought, I think a cut-off wheel will eliminate them. That doesn't seem that hard to me?

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

Many many long time members enjoy their drag disks. Some, still require them because they don't use ESCs.

Marty was saying that outlawing them in the rules would be difficult, not chopping them off the boat.

3. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

The E-board will be addressing a few issues prior to 2017 NATs in addition to this one.

4. Xanthar

I respectfully disagree. Revise the rule to state that ships which use ESCs are not allowed to use drag props or discs. The gentleman who are using them as they were intended, keep using them. Everyone else, myself included, chops them off.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Good. Just make sure it ends up on the website as the bylaws require.

6. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

I have battled against a Mississippi in my Nassau. The Mississippi can turn almost as well as my Nassau. The builder is exceptional and captains well. In a 1v1, I think he will take the win about 90% of the time.

I also have an Iron Duke that tore a hole in a Nassau the size of a quarter.

The Nassau is no better than an Iron Duke. They functionally different. I am of the opinion that a Duke has the advantage due to it's speed, displacement, and extra unit. A Nassau built the way mine is, is an aggressive boat, that has to attack in order to score. My duke has 1 aggressive gun and 3 defensive guns. So a Nassau, chasing my stern, which it can't catch because it's only 28 seconds, stands to lose a lot of it's bow to dual stern guns and a haymaker.

The point is, there is more to the game than crunching numbers. Some boats turn better, some boats have more armor belts, or casemates. But ultimately it comes down to 2 things: Reliability and Smart Captaining.

The three Nassaus you have seen are good boats. One is scary good. But in a 1v1, i beat that captain last year at Nats with my own Nassau by scoring more hits. I sunk, but I won.

My point here is you need to play the game for a bit. Get a feel for the hobby, and don't stress over the BS online. I would suggest, if all this is effecting your motivation to build, don't look at it. Remember, they are just toy boats.

Wmemlo and Beaver like this.
  7. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

That sounds a lot like an order. Problem is, i got my DD 214 already, so I don't take orders. Sorry.

8. Xanthar

True the boats are toys but, what lessons do we teach our sons while we play the game?

9. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

I teach mine that they are toy boats and it's not really that serious.

and how DC power works, how thrust works, how to solder, use a drill, scroll saw, sander, how to lay fiberglass, and the list goes on.

My kid has bigger issues in his life than some adults arguing over boats and I didn't have to teach him that, he already knows that.

10. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

I will also point out, that before you sent your very sternly worded order, I had already contacted the webmaster, who has already added a section to the website for just that.

http://ircwcc.com/main/home/e-board-rulings/

once we have rulings on any disagreements, they will be posted there.

11. Xanthar

Those are all great things but, what about good citizenship and treating others fairly?

12. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

Everyone plays by the same set of rules until they choose not to. If they choose not to, there are provisions in the ByLaws to deal with it.

13. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

If all goes well I might beat him to the story! Muwahahahaha

14. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I would look forward to that as well. Going to be coming up north for any battles this year?

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  15. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

August or nothing at this point.. I think we can work it out.

16. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Since I did not have a 1/8 slit as I explained to the people complaining, you must not have been paying attention, and since the subdeck is 3/8 inch, and you are allowed to have 1/8 inch armour belt, for a total of 1/2 inch.

Rule as written- Of course it seems it can be selectively applied as to who interprets it at the time.

c. The total vertical hard area cannot exceed ½” between any two ribs in the penetrable area of the hull e.g., a ship with both a casemate deck and a defined armor bulge or belt may use two stringers provided that the weather deck is no more than ¼” so that the combined vertical hard area between the ribs is no more than ½”.

And that is exactly how it was built. So please try again and explain why it was illegal?

Just because some people did not like it, did not make it illegal. As you can see, I don't like drag disk's, but I at least have the rule behind me.

My whole point here is that since we are not all following the rules as written, people can say what ever they want. If they want to allow drag disks, then they should write a rule allowing it, instead of saying, its in the spirit of the rules. All that does is open up a can of worms.

If their was a rule allowing them, I would not have a problem with it.

17. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Since so you have chosen not to follow the rule concerning drag props, what provision in the by-laws will you follow?

18. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

I am following the rule. The issue is the definition of a "Drag prop" which will be interpreted by the E-board.

And you didn't have enough space to fit a BB. You knew exactly what you were doing. You had 3/8" deck, + 1/8" stringer + gap that can't fit bb which defeats the intent of the rule. You moved the Stringer in order to defeat the rules. Congratulations, You are a rules lawyer for life.

19. Trey Schultz

Trey Schultz Member

Words of a true rules lawyer

20. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Hey dudes, have some class. If you can't discuss this stuff without calling each other names then I suggest you go home and grow up.
    Trey, there is no rule that says a bb has to pass between the stringer and the subdeck. So there is not intent of a rule to defeat.