drag props

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by jimmybeekeeper, Aug 9, 2014.

1. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

ok i just finished ordering my first plan set a cleveland and now im looking to propulsion i got somewhere that i should run 2 motors and outboard drag props
    is this the best way to go
    ircwcc rule set
    also a suggestion on prop diameter and geared or direct would be appreciated
    and i assume stuffing tube length is dependent on how i set the boat up i was thinking motors near center of the boat allowing for batterys and gas bottle first thx

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

1.25" three blade props are best for cruisers of this size.

3. jimmybeekeeper

drag props or no bob the concensus seem only drive th middle props what do yo think

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Congratulations on starting your first ship.
    Anyway, yes, you will want to have the two outboard shafts as drag props. Only running the two center shafts will improve your turning.
    On the question of geared or direct, that's really up to you. Geared allows you to run a larger motor with more torque, whereas direct allows you to run a smaller motor with less torque. For cruisers, though, running a geared motor is really overkill. Especially since you'll be running two motors. Your best setup would probably be direct drive with 1.25" props like Bob suggested.

Stuffing tube length is dependent on where you want the motors. You will have to place the motors where they won't be in the way of the guns. So you could have the motors in front or behind the guns which would either shorten or length the stuffing tubes. You will probably want the keep the guns as far astern as you can get without getting in the way of mounting your guns. Having them up where the batteries are will make mounting the batteries awkward and just be a frustration.

Do you know what type of motor you will want to use, brushed or brushless?

B

5. jimmybeekeeper

planning on using brushed then maybe brushless later is a speed controller going to be real important seems like im gonna be going towards or awat at best speed usually lol

6. Beaver

They're not required, but can be useful. Plus they're simpler than a MAG throttle. If you don't mind using a ESC (Electronic Speed Controller), Hobby King sells a very good one for brushed motors. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32025__HobbyKing_X_Car_45A_Brushed_Car_ESC.html
    It's cheap, simple, and very rugged. Plus it is fairly simple to waterproof. If you waterproof all the electronics, then you don't need a watertight bow, which will free up more room for other stuff.

7. jimmybeekeeper

i would need 2 right and do you know of a schematic to install one?

8. jimmybeekeeper

clarify im running 2 motors

9. Beaver

Yes, you'll need two, one for each motor. I know with some ESC's, you can run two motors off of one ESC. So you might be able to get away with one ESC for two motors, but don't take my word for it.
    Installation is pretty straightforward. The two wires that go to the big plastic plug are the ones that go to the battery, and the other wires are the ones that go to the motor.
    If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll make a diagram. :)
    You'll probably have to replace the plugs. The XT60 plugs from Hobby King are very good and easy to install.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You cannot run two brushless motors on one ESC.

11. Beaver

I know, but I'm not sure if you can run two "brushed" motors off of one ESC.

12. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

You can so long as it is rated at an appropriate Amperage. I think its always better to have one esc per motor just for redundancy, JMHO.

13. Beaver

I thought you could. Those ESC's are rated at 45 amps, so I don't think you would have any trouble with the amperage.
    Plus running two makes it easier to troubleshoot.