Dremel Compact Scroll Saw?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by notSoGnarly, Dec 29, 2021.

1. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Dremel's compact scroll saw? I'm an apartment dweller so I have to keep my space and future moves in mind. This looks like a pretty useful setup for cutting most anything I'd need for ship construction. Decks, small parts to assemble a superstructure, and interior mounts for boards, batteries, etc.
    Any thoughts or experiences with this tool?

Dremel MS20-01 Moto-Saw Variable Speed Compact Scroll Saw Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFELU6O/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_YM31R99GP14BDNN0TZNW

Attached Files:

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Honestly unless you have a garage or other workplace that you can regularly fill with sawdust, I think your best investment would be a 3d printer. A decent 3d printer and a little practice with some CAD software, and you'll be able to make everything a scroll saw could make and more. Scroll saws can't make cannons or props, after all.

that said, it looks like a functional scroll saw. It has around a 9" throat (distance from blade to back), basically the largest size part you can cut. So you can cut ribs that are about 9" wide or less. That's good enough for some battlecruisers and dreadnoughts, although it won't work for any of the big WWII battleships.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  3. notSoGnarly

I do have a couple outdoor spots I can work in so nbd on the saw dust. My long term plan is a 3D printer but at this point I'm looking for a low cost and small tool that can get alot done. I'm also looking forward to the tactile work of wood.

Good point on the 9" throat. I did a bit of poking around and found they make side cut blades for this saw so that opens me up to larger pieces.

4. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Another issue is the amount of noise a scroll saw makes. If you are doing this in an apartment complex, your neighbors might not be too happy with you.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

As a former apartment boat builder I used a corded jig saw for that type of work. I’d use it along with a shop vac to mask the sound and collect a good portion of the dust

notSoGnarly likes this.
  6. notSoGnarly

Folks say it's on the quieter side and I luckily in not in a complex at the moment.
    I think I'm going to get and see how it goes, I can always return it.