E-Board Rulings

Discussion in 'IRCWCC' started by NickMyers, May 27, 2017.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

And here I thought you were 'thanking' me for pointing out your true calling, but due to lack of foreign language expertise misspelled your 'gratias'.
    'tibi gratias ago pro nihilo'

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

What is the sticky point about them in your proposal Kevin?

In my view if they use reverse only props, they cant have drag disks since they will be considered powered, don't matter if its only one way right? Whats you view on it?

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

The sticking point I see is whether or not to allow reverse only props/shafts at all. Some members don't think that they should be allowed. I don't have an issue with them personally, but my goal is always to put out a proposal that reflects what the majority of the members want.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

seems the easy solution then would be a separate proposal? Would let the voting membership give the Nay/Yay

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

yeah that's the plan, easier said than done but I'll get something worked out in time

NickMyers likes this.
  6. djranier

I agree with Nick, having them together would just kill it from the start.

7. djranier

Really? Your post, its against the rules, but you condone it? Are you not the VP?

8. djranier

Wow, so its a big deal to glue a plywood skegs back on, and correct their rules violation, will they be chitted this year at Nats, since you seem to know about it? And yes they have been cut off, and no you did not say it was too late for a discussion.

9. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Hey David. I get where you are coming from, but this is not productive. Forums can be difficult for communication (can't see a person's reaction and adjust the message on both sides), and this will not get you or anyone what we want/need. We can save it for the captains meeting and have a productive meeting to resolve all these issues on both sides. I for one know what you are talking about, so the message is getting out there.
    Lou

10. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

"In the MWC .. the reversing motors/shafts were illegal so the former MWC members have battled under that rule before. I never heard complaints specifically about that."

If they were illegal in the MWC, why are they showing up now? They have never been legal in the IRC that I remember.

11. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

So this is fine but "turning motors" are not?!

12. Beaver

Turning motors are a completely different story. Differential steering has a much more profound affect on ship performance than simply being able to backup straight.

13. djranier

3 of us used reversing motors on Bismarck's at the last Nats, we asked the other attendees, C/D, and no one stated they had a issue with them at that time. But then we were all using them to just go straight in reverse, which requires low RPM's on the outer shafts, none of us were going any where close to faster in reverse than forward. I used 55 turn motors myself.

In the MWC there was a rule that did not allow it, their is no rule against it in the IRC. We had this discussion on the rules list last year Marty, and only a few people had a issue with it, most thought it was OK, as long as the boat did not exhibit super reverse characteristics. Why we had people check the boats at Nats.

But under the new illegal drag prop rule change the Eboard just made, if they use reverse, that turns them into powered shafts, so they could no longer use drag disks.

Have you actually seen Active drag/Differential steering in use Beaver?

14. Beaver

Well since you asked, I have never seen it used at a battle because it's illegal, and I've never used it in my boats because I like to follow the rules. BUT, if I used differential steering on my predread I'll bet that she'd turn on a dime.
    Not really seeing how this fits into the discussion though...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  15. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The original intent of drag devices was to enable captains to make speed in the pre-ESC days. Along the way somebody figured out that with increased hull drag, you get more thrust running over the rudders and thus, better turning (and acceleration). So a method intended to reduce hull speed was morphed into a method to make our little toy boats turn like tugs and accel like drag boats. It's so ingrained in the hobby today that no one could imagine doing without. My question is how many battlers are still running without ESC's and making speed with drag devices? If it's a low to non-existent number, I'd say get rid of drag devices altogether. It would save on all the drama this subject invokes.

16. Beaver

While not a bad idea, what do you intend to replace them with?

17. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

"3 of us used reversing motors on Bismarck's at the last Nats, we asked the other attendees, C/D, and no one stated they had a issue with them at that time. But then we were all using them to just go straight in reverse, which requires low RPM's on the outer shafts, none of us were going any where close to faster in reverse than forward. I used 55 turn motors myself.

In the MWC there was a rule that did not allow it, their is no rule against it in the IRC. We had this discussion on the rules list last year Marty, and only a few people had a issue with it, most thought it was OK, as long as the boat did not exhibit super reverse characteristics. Why we had people check the boats at Nats."

I had my own problems at Nats and did not get involved in any other discussion of rules. I vaguely remember some discussions on the list but assumed it was some bleed over from the MWC allowing such things.

18. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I assume your asking what to do with unpowered props? I say leave them off. Would make things easier.

I know that many will not give up their drag devices so all this is a mute point. What I'd really like to see is drag devices allowed on all boats. Damn the scale aspect of it. Any pretense that this is a scale based hobby (at least in regards to performance) needs to be thrown out the door post haste. It would be easy to implement. Drag surface area could be the same as rudder area for the model. I'd mandate symmetrical installation, nothing installed in the thrust area, no powered "reverse props", and only powered shafts need be installed. This would make all models more agile which means more fun for all (and bring parity in this area for all ship types). I always thought it was unsporting that only ships with three or more shafts could utilize drag to enhance performance.

Xanthar likes this.
  19. djranier

Well you did bring it up, was why I was asking. Thought you may have seen someone trying it out, it's not illegal unless you try to use it in a battle.

20. Beaver

I did not bring it up! Xanthar was the first to mention it, and I was only answering his question.