End of Summer Run not without BAD LUCK!

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Sep 24, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

o_O So here I was heading down to the lake to have a good end of summer sail with Bismarck and Missouri. Wife was at a conference for the entire day up till 4:30 pm. However I had a major errand to run for but I couldn't do it till 10 am so going to the pond at 8:30 was out of the question. I had issues there and left and went to the pond. However I couldn't get a place to park for easy access. I waited out a couple of hours by parking on the far side of the lake within view of the spot I needed to park at. Finally at noon I saw a space avail and preceeded to it.
    So just as I was unloading the car, I was pulling Bismarck out first when the hull snagged against something, I heard a clink then a pop then next thing I knew there's a 7 uP cola can snagged on my tiny deck gun which had penetrated the can. It was spewing cola all over the trunk interior.:eek:I pulled the can out and laid it on the ground to expell the remaining contents. I located the deck gun and threw it in the hull. The superstructure was not on the hull as the hulls have to slip beneath the backseat overhand. My spouse put a can of pop and a bar in a bag and had it sitting in Bismarck's center hatch. The can was pinched between the hull and the overhand and struck the deck gun which pierced it.
    After that mess I pulled Bismarck out , came back and began to take Missouri out. My jacket snagged the port float plane and ripped it off it's pedestal. I glued it back on and then I did it again and ripped it off for a 2nd time. o_O Arrghh!! Ok so I threw the plane back in the hull of MO.
    Ok so I got both models ready. I was having issue with Yellow Jackets flying around the backside of MO , clinging and crawling to the rudders and Propellers. I tried to drive them off but flicking the rudders and turning on the props then I used my Ca zap kicker to drive them away. It worked for awhile. But later after running Mo I get back to the table and a dozen or so I could count were all over Bismarck. I proceeded to work with Bismarck at the risk of being stung..( I was stung by one at home while cleaning out the baby barn) a couple of weeks ago. I swatted several but they were persistent. I think they were attracted to the soda pop that sprayed over the hull. Some must have got onto the superstructure of BIsmarck and on the hull of MO. Even when placed in the water they stayed on board searching for that sweet sugar.
    The run at the lake was less than smooth. A lot of debris was still in the water on top of the leaves falling from the trees and landing in the water. I was constantly bring the models in to clear the props and the bow of moss. At one point I was stooped over , radio in one hand and my left hand clearing the bow of Bismarck on the starboard side. Well with that a motor boat drove by and the resulting wake it left lifted the bow of Bismarck just as I was reaching with my hand to clear the moss from the bow stem..then "CRUNCH". My entire left thumb punctured the hull above and below the waterline creating a large hole and large crack. :mad::confused::pinch::mad:
    With that I retireved the model and began emergency patching. I only had thick dope and a crappy brush with me so I made the repair. While I let that dry I ran MO out for while. Uneventul till the model lost speed and I heard the grinding of gears....not again!:pinch:Well the port side mini stuffing tube loosened itself from the housing of the motor mount and disconnected the dog bone from teh coupling. On top of that in so doing it pushed the gear wheel behind the pinion and wore it down.:( Well that pretty much ended that run as both ships were out of action , one with a disabled drive and the other with a maw that the Yellow Jackets would be interested in crawling through in search of that sweet soda pop..
    On the bright side I handed out more info cards on the hobby, met a photographer who took all kinds photos and one person who wanted to buy my Bismarck but I resisted in selling it there on the spot.
    At this time Bismarck's panel has been removed and I have a replacement that is nearly ready to be attached. I should have it ready this week along with Yamato's repair completed.
    Missouri: I have had nothing but issues with that one motor mount. I think I am going to have to replace both of them and go with a new set.I haven't had any issue with teh starboard motor mount since day one. Even after realignment of the port side and additional reenforcement of the inner tunnel of the mount It's not workable. I don't have any more spares and I ran out of pinons for it.
    The problem with it is the inner sleeve. I had bored it out but I didn't get it straight. It was oringall too tight to slip a brass stuffing tube through so I made it wider but it wsa too much and it wasn't straight. I tried to correct and keep the stuffing tube in the mount secured but nothing seemed to work. Maybe I just needed to use one less sleeve and leave more space around the prop shaft running through that tube so that it wouldn't generate any friction against the inside of the tube from the shaft as it is the heat from the friction that is melting the adhevisves whether resin or goop or ca.
    Think the best thing to do here is to replace that type of gear system and get another set. The set I have in Yamato and Roma have worked flawlessley. The set in Roma is from BC the open gear set which you can angle any position and the type in Yamato is similiar to the set from Strike which is Traaxis mount system. I will measure my mounts and see if I can install the Traaxis type which I have a set from Strike for the NC. See if the shafts line up with the mounts housings. If not then I will have to get the open set from BC and install those in MO. That would mean removing the other motor mount in the starboard side which I have had no issues with. I rather keep the pair identical and not have differnet mounts sitting side by side.
    Anyway such was my day for the last run of the summer of 2012.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The replacement panel is now in place and sealed and blended into the hull. The below waterline part of the hull is painted. Just need to hand paint the dark bow area and apply the missing wl tape I had to remove when I cut out the damaged panel.

Yamato's Starboard bow is painted along with the above and below of the remainder of the starboard side of the hull.
    I think I will paint the other side to match it up .

Missouri. I started removing the defunct motor mount and will be installing the new one soon.

Roma- The Italians are laughing at these ships however I did have to repair a loose V strut and replace a throttle switch ...oh and the stern guns did shoot the float plane off the quarterdeck....again....

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

It is good to hear that the replacements have been made. The Tennessee is proceeding nicely. leakage issue resolved.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Bismarck starboard bow repair completed. I took the model out for a spin at a untried pond and had a great long run. Met many many people who stay at the hotel next to the pond and many more living in the condos around it. I let one guy an ex navy guy drive Bismarck around and I demo'd the pump and guns. Gave him links and stuff about the hobby and manufacturers for the hobby. It was a great day on the pond as there was no leaves or crap in the water. No kayakers or issues with parking or access to the pond. I had walked the entire trail around it and had Bismarck follow along . The new replacement panel didn't leak.