Enhancement ideas for the Grey Armada

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by JustinScott, Feb 21, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Anything Is Possible.

If you can dream it in a logical way, we can probably do it. I am a professional programmer & can make the computer do what I want. So don't be shy or think it can't be done. Lets discuss ideas, not dismiss them.

What would you like to see, what is needed, what would be useful?

2. JustinScott

First Idea:

Sure, we can do that; but I'm not clear on what exactly you are proposing...

Just list all sources? So, there is an extra page somewhere that you can use to specify what sources you use for your data? That way other people can come back later & say... aah, never heard of that before.

Or, are you talking everything someone makes a change they have to site it? For like, auditing & quality assurance purposes?

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Well, I would like to see info on all cannons 3" and over, along with torpedoes. IN addition to number and caliber of weapons, I would like to see arrangement as well, ie specify that KGV has 2x quad and 1x twin main turrets along with 8x twin secondary turrets, or that Spahkreuzer SP-1 has 2x quint torpedo launchers rotating from centerline and 3x twin main turrets.

For speed, the source absolutely MUST be cited. Some Big Gun clubs require documentation for ship speed, and having a centralized location for that info, along with the necessary citations, would be very welcome. What I'd really like to see is two separate listings for speeds, one with the highest speed mentioned in CONWAYS, and a second optional listing for where higher speeds were documented but not mentioned in CONWAYS. An example would be the Bismark, which CONWAYS lists as going 29 knots. There is plenty of documentation readily available that lists Bismark at 31 knots, but unless Bismark's skipper brings the sources with him to the pond, he must run at 39 knots instead of 31.

Other critical design data, such as shafts/rudders, guns, armor, and dimensions should have sources cited as well. Its important to know that the dimensions you're using to scale your plansheet aren't just what someone THINKS the dimensions should be.

There will probably be a few primary sources for info on most ships. Other sources that disagree on individual ships should be listed separately.

If you get the opportunity, allow the addition of Hypothetical and Incomplete ships (be sure to note the amount of work done, ie launched, laid down, ordered, design study, etc) and merchant vessels. Also, if you could list sources for plans and/or fiberglass hulls.

Some of this stuff seems a but out there, but hey this is my wish list, alright? :)

4. JustinScott

This wouldn't be hard to do programmatically. I will need support in filling in those values.

39 knots, huh? if they have sources saying the bis should run @ 39knots; tell them to print you off a copy as well for your ship.

I agree completely with what you are saying... we need some data security. But I just don't know how/if this will work. Let me have a few days to think on it. If you have a real concrete view; mock it up in MS paint & email the screenshot to me.

I agree. This will be covered as soon as we can dynamically "add a new ship". There should also be something showing, yes X ship is legal in Big Gun, but not in IRCWCC.

& they are perfectly reasonable. This is what I'm asking for.

You are no longer dealing with MS word where you have a set amount of things you can do. I can build what ever I envision.

--->That's not to say I will do anything someone asks... (Programmatically or otherwise[:X]) My time is valuable & I might decide some request is just too complex or time consuming to do... But let me make that decision. Keep 'em coming.

5. kuriomister

kuriomister New Member

Picture wise, it be neat to have a top view and a profile, would help to be a little more accurate if that was centralized. Also, ive noticed wikipedia has alot of ships listed if you need something to start with. And if you need anyhelp with sometihng in flash, im not exactly graphicaly inclined, but I can do the programing for most applications.

6. Kotori87

Yeah, I've seen several sites that use images from US ship identification handbooks. Very high quality stuff. There's one book at my library based on ONI materials about the Japanese navy. Clearly a lot was classified at time of publishing because several of the more advanced projects, including the I-400, were notably missing, but it had excellent photographs of waterline models that were used to train scout plane observers on ship recognition.

For speed, I would like to show something like this:
    Maximum speed: 31.27 knots
    Conways listed speed: 29 knots
    (sources for maximum speed are...)

7. JustinScott

Remember, photos are dangerous. They must be public domain. We can't just Google image search & use whatever shows up.

I would love to have cutaways & top down photos; but I don't know where to legally get images like that.

Wiki is a good place to start, as I believe everything on there is public domain.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The Naval Historical Center is a great place to start... Obviously, it's mostly American ships, but you'd be surprised what you can find in their foreign section. Also, it's 100% public domain.

9. JustinScott

do you have a URL?

10. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

http://www.history.navy.mil/

JM

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

For just the photo section, go with:

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org11-2.htm

12. JustinScott

Ahh.. that place. Yeah, that's where I got the photos that are in there right now.

That place is quite nice, go ahead and upload a handful of ship photos from there!

13. Kotori87

Of course, if you have a nicely detailed model, maybe we could post pictures of that instead? Especially for the not-so-famous ships, such as Montana, Spahkreuzer, and Alsace.

14. JustinScott

I would rather have plans / blueprints if photos are not available. However, I would like to see ALL SHIPs listed in the shipdomain section.

15. Kotori87

There are two sites that I use for quick reference on German and Italian warships, which have some nice waterline plan views. I don't know if the images are public domain or not, but it never hurts to ask, right?
    www.german-navy.de
    www.regiamarina.net