Epoxy?

Discussion in 'General' started by BoomerBoy17, Oct 28, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

ok, i found sites on the 2 big hardware places near my home and wanted to know which had good epoxy. Take a look at the sites if you can and tell me if you see one that will work on on bonding the subdeck to a fiber glass boat.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=Epoxy

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=P_Topseller_Sort|1&N=10000003+501239+90010&rpp=12&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&style=A

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

go to:Visit this site

see if there is a store near you, buy this

Visit this site

this
    Visit this site

and this
    Visit this site

Otherwise get something that is made for marine use. Maybe something like
    Visit this site
    I've had bad experiences with regular hobby shop epoxy.

3. BoomerBoy17

That is what i saw online and wanted to know how good it is. Do you know how much i would need to say, epoxy a subdeck on? Also, i want to pick up that wood locally, Home Depot or Lowes, do you know if they have 1/8 inch wood? i know that they have 1/4 inch. I would need a little money first, but i guess knowing what im going to do doesnt hurt.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

They probably don't have 1/8" wood, least not any you would actually want to use. The 1/4" ply they have doesn't hold up well either. Try and get some aircraft grade plywood (5 plys) at your local hobby shop, you can get it in both 1/8" and 1/4".

If you get that loc-tite epoxy I don't have a clue how much you'd need.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

do a search for National Balsa... The sell good quality plywood (and did I mention they have balsa, too?)

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

That's my boy!!!!!

West is a very good epoxy (although a little pricey) and yes get the 5ply good wood. You will never be sorry when it turns out sweet. I won't tell you how I did mine because it is a cheaper less reliable way and the results will not be as good. I also have been rebuilding about once every two years so I figure I could cheat a little since I would be doing it again in the future.

7. BoomerBoy17

Rob, im thinking about the loctite, not the west, if my dad gets excited enough to buy one, i think then we'll get one. I guess ill have to do an internet search to find aircraft grade plywood in the area

8. BoomerBoy17

the loctite comes in .85 ml containers for about $4. How much do i need for only attaching the sub deck?

9. Mark

Mark Active Member

national balsa is the way to go, they have everything you would need in the wood department (they're only 2 towns over from where I live)

10. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Which loctite are you looking at? .85ml for 4$ sounds a lot like a thread locking adhesive, which would be inappropriate for attaching the sub-deck.

11. BoomerBoy17

this one:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=40308-133-40308&lpage=none

12. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I am not familiar with that one. But to volume, you will have to be able to apply a decent bead of epoxy around the sub deck as well as coat the sub deck (if sub deck is wood) to waterproof it. That will take a decent volume of epoxy, and would probably make those little tubes cost prohibitive. Check out a hobby store for larger bottles. You won't get the convenient syringe shape but it should be more cost effective.

13. BoomerBoy17

ok, i was looking at going with National Balsa stuff: wood and epoxy. Still looking into it though.

14. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Don't forget to sand the hull where ever you are attaching anything with epoxy! Fiberglass gives off a wax when it cures and this will prevent the epoxy from getting a good hold.

Marty

15. BoomerBoy17

thanks very much, what grit do you think is good?

16. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

One other thought is to use Bondo epoxy resin.

17. BoomerBoy17

is bondo epoxy resin available at home depot or lowes?
    how good is it?

18. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

You might find it in an automotive supplies as here in Canada I can find it at Canadian Tire. It works well. It does stink so you will want to use it in a well ventilated area. You can also use Sintra for your decks. It is light weight.

19. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Alright, cats are out of their bags... (again) I used 15 min hobby epoxy on one ship, worked fine, I used bondo fiberglass resin on another, worked fine, cheap 1/4 ply from lowes, worked fine, sealed it with fiberglass resin, still sealed. Use 50 to 100 grit to sand, you want to remove wax layer, promote tooth for epoxy to grab. Don't worry, if you don't like the way it turns out, you can always redo it. I think the most important thing in boat building is most things are re-do able.

20. BoomerBoy17

ok, is there another way to waterproof the deck besides fiberglass resin...maybe polyurethane or something along that line?