Epoxy?

Discussion in 'General' started by BoomerBoy17, Oct 28, 2008.

1. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

What about wood? Are there other reasons for not using it. I like the abs idea, that has merit. I don't think lowes carries it, though I may be wrong.

2. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Here's abs
    smallparts.com
    http://www.smallparts.com/s?searchNodeID=16310161|468240&keywords=++Acrylonitrile+Butadiene+Styrene+(ABS)+&x=15&y=7&Action=submit

How is it to work with? How does epoxy like it?

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Im just gonnna order some wood through BC that fits my boat. its not actually a kit, but i think he'd do it for me. ill have to check the email from him.

4. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Wood is what all of my ships except 1 have for decks. Specifically, 1/16" hobby shop aircraft plywood (5 plies, I think?).

I got some good-sized ABS sheets from Plastruct. It's pretty flexible, which I found handy. It won't warp or rot, like plywood can (even when sealed). I believe I used 0.060" for decks & superstructure up to the 01 level; 0.030" above.

I wouldn't expect to find ABS sheets at Lowes, Home Depot, local hardware store, etc.

JM

5. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

You have to cut carefully/slowly, since it has a tendency to melt. I had some instances where it melted & filled right back in behind my saber saw blade. Or course, you can use that to your advantage, too. I used a heat gun to soften some up, then bent it around a form to make some upper superstructure pieces.

I didn't use any epoxy with it. Adhesives are available, but I made my own from scraps dissolved in acetone.

I did a whole ship with absolutely no wood whatsoever, other than the balsa skin that's required by rule. Decks & superstructure are mostly ABS, some misc. styrene parts, wire, & a few other odds & ends. Closed-cell foam block inside for flotation (the whole superstructure is the recovery float.

JM

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I started on my sodak rebuild and am using rubber for turrets. Abs might find a place when I start doing the decks.

7. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Say Rob, You didn’t happen by total accident to make 3 Extra turrets did you? [;)]

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

No but you can have my old ones if it helps.

9. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Oh sure thats all I am to you I see know LOL hey I found some anchore chain only trouble is it is gold going to paint it Black I have a ton of it if you need some let me know i will ship it out [:D]

10. BoomerBoy17

hey guys, cut out my subdeck this weekend. im goona get wood for the deck from rick at bc

11. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Leave it gold & put it all on there. You can have the "Mr. T" of warships!

JM

"I pity the fool who won't come out on the water & take a beating!"

12. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

LOL!!!!!!!

Wait til you see the Sodak rebuild. I am painting the entire ship gloss white with gold chain for anchor and polishing all the barrels. It's my last allied year and I want to go in style. I have something very special planned and it ought to be a riot. Don't worry, I will definitely post picts so stay tuned. Mr T will be jealous...

13. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I always thought a pink battleship would be fun. Kinda like the old Johnny Cash song about the boy named Sue - gotta' be tough!

JM

14. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I got a pink VU hull....

maybe someday...

15. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

You could try a very annoying dazzle pattern of Black and white on the entire ship.

16. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I think the boy's name was "Sioux", not "Sue"

17. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I've painted "authentic" camouflage patterns on a couple of my ships. What I discovered that's odd is that, in a scale model, it has an opposite effect of what the original design was intended to do. That is, it makes it easier for me, knowing the pattern, to tell what it's doing, especially at long range. At long distance, a plain gray ship just looks like a little blob & I can't always tell which direction it's pointing, whether it's turning or not, etc. I've even temporarily lost sight of plain gray ships under certain conditions of light, shadow, reflection of far shore, etc. With my camouflage-painted ships, I can easily tell what's going on because I know the distinctive patterns.

JM

18. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

No, it was Sue. He went on to become a personal injury lawyer & runs commercials on late-night TV.

JM

19. Bryan

Bryan Member

There are really nice 5 channel 2.4 Ghz radios out there nice and
    cheep, in Canada they are just under $100 so I know in the USA you
    should be able to find them much cheaper, Selectum I think is the
    name on them but get a good radio and with one of these you do not
    have to worry about interference or someone else being on the same
    frequency.

Just my 2 cents

20. BoomerBoy17

yea, im thinking of a 5 channel instead, thanks for the advice.