esc?

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by JasonC, May 27, 2009.

1. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

where can i get a good esc i have a pair of proboat ones but they only have 1/2 power in reverse so they are kinda junk. so i was woundering what are the other capatins using and where can i find some

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I suggest Mtroniks Viper brand ESCs. You can get them from Loyalhanna Dockyards, or directly from the Mtroniks website in Britain.

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'm using the pro boat esc in all of my ships. The escs are set up to run the motors backwards in reverse, i.e. the esc is running in reverse while the boat is moving forward. The boat is geared to use the lower reverse rpm to make speed. The esc forward speed is used to make the boat move backwards.

If you don't like the pro boat, I might make an offer for them. :)

4. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Jay Jennings swears by Viper Marine ESC's Jason. You should talk to him or Steve Crane.

5. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

http://www.modelsolutions.ca/catalog_ESCMarine.htm

I just ordered one from here --- I'll let you know how it goes

6. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I prefer Dimension Engineering ESCs over the Mtroniks ones, but I have used both sucessfully. Also I used a Tekin Rebel 2 with some success. The Mtroniks are probably the most widely used atleast in fast gun since they are already waterproof where as most other ESCs on the market require some sort of waterproofing. I think there are a number of car ESCs that would work well in boats if you waterproofed them, I just havent had the balls to blow the money on them and test them out yet since I have something that works.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

yes, there are some car escs that work, just remember you better know how to waterproof something first... I am still running my castle creations mamba esc... (brushless car esc) and it still works. although my waterproofing is a bit overkill.

8. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I use the Viper Marine Mirror's, they only come in 25 amp but they are 100% in both directions, cost the same as a regular 25 amp. I got mine from Cornwall Model Boats in the UK, they were 4-5 pounds cheaper then buying direct from Mtroniks, my order shipped a few hours after I placed it and they arrived in a week, even though they were in pounds and came from the UK they were about 1/2 the cost of ordering from Model Solutions(Canadian supplier of Mtroniks) and quite a bit cheaper then ordering from the States. I took one down and Jay tested it in Scharnhorst at the Shearwater show and it passed/worked, I have one in my cruiser and carrier. I haven't looked recently but I couldn't find the Mirror in the States/Canada when I ordered from the UK.

9. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Ive got some pro boat ESC that I am going to try in my Belleau Wood wired up the way that Mike suggested. I had been talking to some of the guys at the Xenia event about trying exactly that. I'm kinda glad someone else has already done it and it works, makes me feel like I might be on the right path.

I also swapped one of the ones I have to Phil Agnos for a 100 amp polk esc that he had. It's 100% in both directions, but only 10 seconds in reverse. I'm going to see how that works out for me as well.

10. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

It was in the mail this afternoon when I came home from work.