ESCs & the magic smoke

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by JustinScott, Mar 29, 2007.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the mtronics Viper Marine 40? Bit pricey, but looks like it might be good for small gun applications, since it appears to have programmable reverse.

2. crzyhawk

Also, does anyone know the amp draw of a stock BC pump under load? I'm looking at using an ESC to control the flow on my pump as well.

3. Mark

Mark Active Member

Yes, I'm using 2 of the viper 40's in the Yamato. one handles the port side the other the starboard. motors are hooked parallel with a 15amp fuse one each + side so that if one motor locks up the other will still run and the esc won't shut down. you can program (if you want) the reverse function to be instant or have a delay (reverse is only 1 speed and is @ partial power, but I don't see this as a problem since ships aren't designed to run the same speed in reverse as they do in forward). you can also program a breaking action (don't think it will matter much though).

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

A stock BC if I remember right, I did test one, was around 19 amps. Stinger was 29.

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

You must have higher amps to go with the higher temps in FL. I had 9 amps on the BC motor & 19 on the stinger.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I got 10A on my pump, I'd expect most fast gun 1-unit pumps to draw around 10A with a 550-size motor. They're not _that_ different in design, and they're doing about the same amount of work...

7. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Your right Bob, I added a extra 10, it was 9 and 19. I just went out and checked again, we did the other testing awhile back, and I guess my memory is slowly going. My new motor is drawing 24.

8. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Better check on the draw of the pump stalled, not just running, if you really want to keep the magic smoke inside.

JM

9. crzyhawk

Well I'd probably throw a fuse on it as well to protect it. I'm just thinking I don't want to drop a 100 bucks on a pump controller, so that means a cheaper ESC. I really wouldn't NEED a heavy duty ESC for the pump, I was just hoping to standardize. With the price of the viper 40 though, uhhh, cheaper might be better for the pump!

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I used a ProBoat waterproof esc in my Yamato. Well it would shut down after running continous for a while or if I did reverse and forward several times in a a row. When it did shut down it was very hot to touch. One time I was running Yamato flat out then it just kept going flat out. The Esc shut down and shut down my receivor leaving my ship running. It did wide cirlces in a large deep pond for about 1hr. It was dark and finally the model drifted near the shore about 50ft half sunk..the waves were up at that time. Curioulsy I regained radio control and drove it in half sunk.
    That same ESC is now in a Lindberg PT109 powering M.A.C.K. marine motors and in 2 seasons has not given that boat any issues. I think I went over the amperage rating or a combo of both the stress from the displacement versus the current flow. It was powering 2 550's which are watercooled themselves.

Several members in Nabs tried Proboat ESCs with poor results. But they were installed incorrectly and one was modified which led to it's demise. I think their good Escs but as you guys pointed out ..do the math..
    Can we get these notes posted permanently on the forum? I know a few Nabs members who just installed ESCs and for those considering the pointers here will help them get the correct ESC.

11. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

For pump stall you need to find out what motor is in it. For some of the 550 motors stall currents are in the 50-100A region.

One other thing to look at if you are worried about fire is to buy wire with a UL Flame rating on the insulation which if chosen properly will self extinguish.