Everybody likes free stuff :)

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I want to share some with the people who make my life good. Other than my very supportive wife, that's you guys. So I will be posting blueprints of various ships on the file manager for you to download and use free. I have already posted the first one, which is Elorn, a French fleet oiler which could probably also pass for HMS Elorn, the Elorn Maru, USS Elorn City, DKM Elornmark, or HMCS Elorn, eh. The hull section drawing is still in need of cleaning up, but I will post the cleaned up version soon. The sections drawing is a jpeg on 8.5x11 format so you can print it anywhere (easier to explain at work than a large roll of plans on the company copier). The plan and profile drawing is big and will need to be printed at your favorite blueprint place or Kinko's. If they ask, the P&P is in tiff format, with LZW compression. When printing the frames, if the diagram measures around 5 1/8" wide then they're correct. I did 2 section drawings per page to minimize your printer paper bill.

I will (in the future) be posting some combat ships and some convoys, in my folder in the File Manager. Go to Tugboat, then Free Ship Plans, and click on "Download File"

ps- on the P&P, you will find 2 sets of numbers under the profile. One is meters, the other set is for the frame numbers.

2. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Whell here are 2 things that i never would normally say int he sentance. YOur welcome for supporting u and thank you for posting the plans!!

3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Tuggy, you rock; that's just plain awesome...

I think this might deserve its own section. I will try to create a nice home for you and your plans after you get a couple more uploaded and the site has migrated to the new server.

4. Tugboat

Groovy :) Next up is either Galissoniere or Jean Bart so we have a combat ship. I'm working on a set of King George V plans that will give us a Brit BB. One fellow who already sent me money for the KGV plans will get it back, as I'm going to make the plans free on here.

5. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

just a quick question. What ones are the frame numbers and what ones are the meters?

6. Tugboat

The frame ones are the one that don't go past 100 :)

The bottom set is the frames. A little hard to read until it's in printed form, but readable :)

7. klibben

klibben Member

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEET

8. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Sweet thank you! i eventually get one on the water and nckname it the "tugboat"

9. Tugboat

Thx man :) There is actually a seagoing tug (14" long in 1/144) that I'm going to do :)

10. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

wow thats small

11. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

i just had a major brain fart. 1/144= i inch equales every...

12. donanton

donanton Member

yay free plans
    thanks

13. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Thanks a bunch, Tugboat, for making these plans free for download!

It's great to have guys like you on the board that have such a heart for the hobby.

Thanks again,

Carl

14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

You can go ahead and throw up the Mehoshi Maru plans as well. They were always intended for free online distribution, and hopefully this will get them better publicity. I also have a few other plans files that could go up as well, with a little photoshop cleanup. I'm still waiting on a Vista-compatible version of photoshop elements for those, however. Tugboat, is that seagoing tug the Willie Maykett, or some other ship?

lalimerulez, 1/144 means one inch equals twelve feet, so a 14-inch tugboat is 168 feet long in full scale. I've seen ships that size in action, they are incredibly maneuverable. Unfortunately the only one I've seen so far had an unfortunate habit of turning turtle when bumped.

15. Tugboat

It's a German oceangoing tug that got taken by France after they were liberated. It has a very low back end, should be hard as heck to sink. The French fitted it with minelaying equipment (one rack of 20 port and stbd), and a crane for retrieving them.

16. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

so the elorn appromixly would equal 4ft in 1/144 right?

17. Tugboat

I misspoke when I said meters, those are frame numbers. I double-checked on the originals and she's 38.6 inches long. So, just over 3 feet. For MWCI purposes, she's on the short end of the 35” to 49.9" convoy ship size, making her a decent handling convoy worth a fair number of points. Not sure about other clubs' rules, and I don't think we've written the Battlestations convoy rules yet. BaS guys, I will be posting these in 1/96 shortly :)

18. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Tug

How about seeing if you can find hull drawings for the Italian monitor, Faa Di Bruno. I have look and have not found any. You seem to be able to find most of what you are looking for.

19. Tugboat

What year was she commissioned?

Side note: I found shipyard drawings of the Capitani Romani class, a little small in 1/144, but for BaS, she's got loads of torpedo tubes! (plus a decent gun armament). Did I mention 41 knots? Downside: No armor to speak of.

20. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

She was comissioned in 1917, twin 15 in 40 guns.

Here is what they say about her. Strange….Exotic….Bizarre….all of those adjectives fit the Faa di Bruno. A ship armored with a ten-foot belt of concrete certainly has to be considered odd. She fought in both wars.

Here is a picture, she should be very hard to sink.

[​IMG]