Everybody likes free stuff :)

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The Italians built an even better monitor than the Faa Di Bruno. I remember seeing a semi-complete model of one. It looks like a short, squat box with a steep turtle-back deck that literally extends below the waterline. It has a blunt, perfectly flat bow and stern, so nobody will ever be able to hit it. Unfortunately I don't remember what it's called.

Tugboat, could you check many rudders your plans show the Capitani Romani class as having? I've seen several high-quality plansets that show side-by-side rudders, but I've also seen shipyard photos that show a single rudder. Those plansets were otherwise very accurate, but that twin rudder thing has caused plenty of confusion in the WWCC.

If I remember correctly, one of the Capitani Romani class hit 43 knots in trials, and they have proven to be absolutely murderous torpedoboats in my club. In fact I credit the two Capitani's with fully 1/4 of all sinks in the club in the past two years, which is an incredible number of sinks.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

This is it, the turtle back is up about 10 ft, and she has a 7 ft draft total.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It's funny, Carl, Wikipedia lists 8 torpedo tubes, but my shipyard plans show 2 quad launchers per side! The second set of quads could be a post-war addition. She is most definately single rudder, and scale size is right at 1.35 sq.in. (so if one of you guys are using one in MWC, be happy that the rules give her 1.5 :) (If your club requires scale number and/or size of rudders and I just screwed you, sorry :)

Dave, I have enough info to do a set on the monitor Capellini, which I strongly believe is a better looking ship (if that can be said about any Italian monitors; beastly things :) I can't find any info on Faa di Bruno for below the waterline.

4. djranier

Ya neither could I, has 2 props is all the info I could find.

5. Tugboat

Yeah, well now that you got me looking, I'll probably put Capellini in line to get rendered into plans. I need to get KGV done, too, must work faster! And oh, find time to work on a ship. Or 2.

6. djranier

Do you have the new one ready for the Sav battle?

7. klibben

klibben Member

i've never heard of the Capellini, and have had no luck searching for anything on it?

Capellini (the pasta) is good tho!

8. Tugboat

Here's a drawing (not by me, I wish I could do that well :)
    [​IMG]

She has one rudder, one screw, and get this: A FIRST in our hobby! She actually has her main armament pointing out back over the rudder and screw! So it's normal to fire mainly to the rear!

9. djranier

She was afloat for only a short time, and sank. The Faa Di Bruno was her replacement.

10. Tugboat

Dave, I don't have her ready yet. She will be (I hope) by the April battle in Savannah. As soon as I get Carl's lil tiny convoy (the best kind IMHO) done and shipped, I have a subdeck to get epoxied in. We have a build session scheduled at Brian's this Sunday, so I'll be coming home from work, sleeping for 4 hours, and then going over groggy to get help getting her set up for war :) Brian is going to make me a pair of guns, and as I have 10 or 12 rudders cast and sitting around, I've already got one ready to install :) Props and propshafts are ready, too. So we should see HMAS Australia in April :) Best part: stringers GALORE. Great big side bulge, and a wicked knuckle at the bow. If she had two rudders, they'd ban her for being too kick@$$ :)

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Haha! That's great!
    Q: why do Italian tanks have rear view mirrors?
    A: so they can see the battle!
    Q: why do Italian monitors have rear view rangefinders?
    A: I'm sure you can figure this one out [:D]

I seem to remember seeing the Bruno as having 2 shafts 2 rudders, and a very blunt underwater cross-section. Floating box with a mushroom on top is a very apt description.

12. djranier

Yes thats is what I have read, but I was hoping to find a cross section, or drawing, but have had no luck.

13. Tugboat

It she's anything like the Capellini, the props are hidden in a tunnel underneath her, with the rudders bolted to the transom, just behind the props.

14. klibben

klibben Member

hmmmm, i like the idea of building her. I've been wanting to build an axis monitor, but most are too small for 1/144 - but now there is talk in the group of trying 1/96.

15. Tugboat

In 1/96, Capi would be about 15" long and 7.5" wide. (I need to recheck the numbers, that's off the top of my head).

16. klibben

klibben Member

thats just big enough! yet small enough to sit in the back seat of my car!

17. djranier

The Bruno would be around 15.5 by 7.5, in 1/144 scale. And the mushroom cap would be great looking. Dont know how many units she would have, 1.5 I would guess, but they are 15 inch guns, so maybe 2.5?[8D]

18. klibben

klibben Member

she would? i figured she'd be shorter?

19. Tugboat

Being that she's well under 7,000 tons, she'd be one whole unit. 1.

No monitors are given half units. Monitors under 7,000 tons are 1 unit, monitors 7,000 tons or greater are 2 units. And I don't think she's that big in 1/144, but I'd have to check my pics and drawings on my pc at home.

20. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

The Capitani Romani class has two centerline rotating quad mounts of torpedoes. I think there are some historical photos that will show this.