Everybody likes free stuff :)

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

They do show that, I just wasn't up on my Capitanis enough to realize that my plans are from post-war overhaul. The French source is from the rework the Frogs did after they took one of the class as a reparation. Lose the amidships torps, and gain 2 quads port and stbd up front. The superstructure got changed, too. I have good enough info to render both versions, so I'll do it eventually.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Here is what I could find on her.

Dimensions: Length - 182-feet 1-inch (55.5m)
    Beam - 88-feet 7-inches (27m)
    Draught - 7-feet 3-inches (2.2m)
    Displacement - 2,854-tons
    Armament - Two 15-inch/40 (381mm)
    Four 3-inch (76mm)
    AA; Two 40mm AA
    Armor: Belt - 2.9m concrete
    Deck - 40mm
    Barbette - 60mm
    Turret - 110mm
    Machinery - Two Thornycroft engines
    Two shaft; 465ihp
    Maximum Speed - 3-knots
    Complement - 8 Officers, 161 Ratings

Since she was 182.1 ft long, with a 88.7 ft beam, her dimensions would be, 15.2 in, by 7.4 in.

And even as a 1 unit, it would be fun to run around and shoot with her.

3. Tugboat

Not only was I hosed up on the size of Faa di B, I was hosed up on the displacement of Capellini! That'll teach me to comment on stuff from work on the first night of my work week at 4AM with no references! (saying this as I wake up at 16:00, typing without the benefit of caffeine) Capellini is only 1,452 tons and 1 unit.

4. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Thanks Tugboat...
    Free stuff is always beneficial to the guys who are unable to locate good plans and sources...The hobby benefits when we share information and stuff.

Mark
    OAF

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Very well done to all that are involved with this.
    Phil and I went to the local printing place over the weekend. Phil was able to load the files to a thumb-drive, and we had the print shop
    print out the plans for the Bearn (aircraft-carrier).
    Not only was it way cool.
    But due to all of your hard work, a person that is interested in the combat can now pick a ship from the list of available plans, and have them to actually look at in a matter of hours (if not minutes).
    Were as, in the past, one might have had to wait for a few days, if not a week or more.
    Keep up the great work.
    Mikey

6. Tugboat

I luuuurrvvvee my usb thumb drive :) That proliferation of plans is what I was suggesting, make it easier and less costly to get in. Admittedly, the plans are far from the most expensive part (when you're buying them), but hey, it's saving $20 plus shipping, and the idea is to make sure we have good solidly-sourced plans for free :) Not "oops, a half-inch too narrow," nor "whoops, I put it in 1/200 scale and still sell it!" (Not mentioning any names/companies) (heh.)

With Mike in SC attacking the French plans with a vengeance, I will be trying to spread our reach in other directions. After the KGV and the Dutch ligth cruiser Java, some Japanese cruisers are coming, along with some more convoys. With the Dreadnought Project and some other help, I've located some German ships that will be making an appearance. When I run out of those (or if someone wants to get in on the fun ;) I'd like to get some US plans, the shipyard plans are not that hard to come by. The British ship plans are more 'spensive (officialy sourced), but more besides KGV will eventually get done, if only because I love my I-boat, the ship that kept me in the hobby after my Lion caught fire.

Whew! Wordy! That is all :)

7. klibben

klibben Member

Just to cover all bases before someone does this and gets yelled at...

Is it considered acceptable to sell these plans for the price of printing them off?

My only wondering is because I want to print them all off to keep but if someone likes them I would be willing to sell them to 'em (I can always print more off), just for the price it costs me to print - I wouldn't make a profit off of them.

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

US Government materials are public domain hence are under no copyright restrictions. I would imagine the same applies for the French materials. You may freely copy and distribute those.

9. klibben

klibben Member

Actually I was referring to Tuggy's free plans....

The way I see it I'm not doing anything wrong - since the buyer would be paying to print them off anyways, and I wouldn't be charging anymore than I paid so there would be no profit on my part - just saving the buyer from the hassle of having to go to a place to print them off.

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I think he is concerned about having his name tarnished when he wasn't trying to profit off someone else's generosity.

11. Tugboat

Kenny, I have no objection as long as there's no profit. Getting back printing costs is fine with me.

12. klibben

klibben Member

Okay, thanks Tuggy.

I didn't think you would, but wanted to cover all basis before someone heard I was doing it and then things got out of control.

We all know how firewhipped some people can get over issues like that. (not pointing fingers at anyone on this site)

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Don't think of it as "selling the plans for the price of printing it". Call it a "recovering printing costs". As long as you make it clear that you're not making a profit.

14. Tugboat

NP, Kenny, Carl also covers my view of it nicely. I see it in a like manner to making Linux CDs or DVDs under the GPL... you can charge enough to cover the cost of making the item, which helps spread the love... :)

15. klibben

klibben Member

Agreed!

It's been a while since anyone has posted free plans, you busy with the Alaska tuggy?

16. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

FREE!

Plus shipping & handling charges

JM

17. Tugboat

Oh, yes... there are currently an Alaska, a Kent, and a Duke of Edinburgh in progress.

18. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'm still working on two more French ships. One of the plans is very dirty (speckled) and it's taking a long time to clean all of that out. Stay tuned ... there is more coming. :)