Excellent Article on LiPo Batteries

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Beaver, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

thegeek likes this.
  2. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Beaver, that is an excellent article. I think it needs to be either reprinted on here and stickyed or this post needs to be stickeyed.

3. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

Rodgers is one of the last hobby shop in northern lower Michigan, had my PA there for awhile on display...have to get them to update our club info.

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I would not suggest LIPO batteries to folks that have no experience with them OR for New Captains choosing them as their primary battery. They are VERY volatile and prone to fire and or explosion. They require a charging bag for safety, should not be charged indoors, and should not be STORED indoors. Most likely any LIPO pack used in the hobby will not be a 'high spec' pack but rather the 'cheapest' cost per amp hour available... Not what I would trust in my house. If I am hosting a battle at my house.. all LIPO charging would be outside.

In addition LIPO can catch fire simply resting on the shelf..or left plugged in:

Lipo simple puncture test:

LifePO4 simple puncture:

And yes I am aware of people that have been using them in boats and such and have not had a problem... yet. All it takes is one lucky BB and its the 4th of July.

I will stick to my LIFEPO4 cells.. no matter how good some folks make LIPO sound.

If I haven't convinced you to avoid LIPO then I hope you enjoy your new LIPO cells.. please let me know when you battle.. I want to have several cameras ready... AND a fire extinguisher!!!

5. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Funny, Steve Andrews almost burned down the Comfort Inn a couple weeks ago. He mumbled something about not having the charger set correctly....

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Venting and flaming are two different things also.. the Lifepo4..should... spew smoke/gas until it is spent. Lipo would have caught fire for sure...

Did he have flames or just smoke?

And that is also a good point.. Lithium batteries need special attention to be charged.

7. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

From now on Steve will not be able to charge inside my house, ever. Yes I saw that cell and it was very "plump"., for a 20 amp LiPoFe, almost round.

8. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Steve was a NIMH battery, I don't really know what he did to set it off, but it was spectacular!

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

That is unless he had another one recently! The one I saw was at Nationals!