Fast Gun (MWC): Kongo or Derfflinger

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Gardengnome, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

With the Indy nearing completion and WWI Warspite in the wing. The Warspite is being worked on by Dave Au he got it from some one else some time ago and there were issues w/ it that he is fixing. I was talking to him that once the Warspite is done I am planning on starting a Axis ship. I was thinking of a 24 second battle cruiser the two that seem to be the best to me is a Kongo or Derfflinger. I am looking to do a another Fiberglass hull before my attempt at a scratch build.
    The Derfflinger seems to be an easier build over all which is appealing and I like the appearance a bit more than the Kongo's. However, the Kongo's can have 3 sidemounts and dual rudders. But, the casemates and superstructure seems a bit overwhelming at times when I look at them.
    Maneuverablity: I would think the dual rudders would win out. But the Derfflinger is shorter while only a bit narrower and the stern seems a bit more wider where the rudders which could mean better turning. So of the two which seems to be better turning?
    Build: How tricky is doing the casemates? I have not seem any interior shots of a kongo here or anywhere?

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I have a Kongo, Tyler has a Derflinger (Andy's using at NATS right now) they turn about the same. They fight with the same style. Both can take a bunch of damage and dish some out too.
    I too thought the casements would be hard to add to the ship. They were not. Tyler helped me with the wood working. Got the whole deck done in a weekend.
    I like the Kongo, I love the 3 sidemounts. The stern gun on the Durf is pretty useless. When I battled Tyler with it I just ate the stern, it's only one gun not too dangerous. Kevin K runs his Derf with twin sterns and a haymaker. I think this set up is a little better for a new guy as you'll get into less trouble without a bow sidemount.
    Overall I lean towards Kongo, but the Derf would not be a bad choice.

3. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

First, Bob thanks for the response! I realize that NATS is going on right now and was not expecting a response for a bit.
    I know you are at NATS now but when you get back could you post some photos of your Kongo when you get back? Either here or yourPPB site I have looked at the build examples there more than I can count.

4. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

It's looking like Strike may be coming out with a casemate solution to the Kongo class... Check the MWC members list mail or contact Stephen at Strike directly.
    HorribleHarry
    SCRAP

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I'll have to make another inside a warship for the Kongo. Have a few other ships to do to. Send me your e-mail off line and I'll send you a few pics.

6. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

Cool thanks Bob will do so!

7. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

The Kongos did quite well all week. Kaminski seems to have some sort of telepathy with his Derfflinger, they are a really good fit and the dual sterns can be really nasty if you're not expecting it. 3 sidemounts is hot though. I liked the 3 sidemounts and dual sterns in my Nagato so im spoiled now. ;)

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Got the Inside of a Warship Kongo done and posted to the Port Polar Bear site.

http://www.portpolarbear.com/reports/Inside%20the%20IJN%20Kongo.htm

9. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

Thanks Bob!

10. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Nice Bob! Thank's for including some pictures of how you did the wooden rib extensions for the casemate deck. Took my Hindenburg out (Derfflinger class) and found that it is just as responsive to the helm as the Nagato, but doesn't turn as well. Probably about the same as most Kongos. Derfflinger might be a little bit of an easier build since it has more room in the bow and stern and isn't so pointy. With good water channeling and decent pump it can take a massive amount of damage for a class 4 BC.