Fast Gun rules question

Discussion in 'General' started by jstod, Sep 25, 2019.

1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

so after doing a quick read of fast gun rules I was considering converting my Mackensen to fast gun for the time being but couldn’t find it on ship list. So I reread the rules and discovered that it is because the rules also require the ship to have been completed which mac was not.

My question is why did that “launched and completed” rule not just go with launched? And is or has there ever been an attempt to change that rule?

Not trying to start a rules argument or debate, especially in a format I’ve never played in. I’m just curious:)

Panzer likes this.
  2. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I don't get fast gun. Why would you want to put a certain, unhistorical, number of guns on a ship that don't turn and not have speed advantages for certain ships. Also no torpedos. Yes I get that it is more fair probably but since when was history fair?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

It has been in there as long as I have played.... Personally I would love to see it expanded.

That being said, lets not get into another match of "my formats better than your format", it does no good.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

its just a game

Julian Barbera, Anvil_x and WillCover like this.
  5. Nibbles1

I know :D

6. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

That is exactly the type of comment I’m trying to avoid dude. In the end it’s all about having fun playing with toy boats.

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Completely agree format comparisons gets nowhere. My intention was purely to gain knowledge.

8. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Specifics are usually somewhat arbitrary, to me it makes sense as ships would be launched at the 50-60% complete stage, and a hulk couldn’t do much damage to enemies. There are certainly counter examples of xx random ship that is allowed but didn’t fight or wasn’t operational before the end of the war. There needs to be a line somewhere, i would say that the current rule has more potential arguments in favor vice arguments opposed.

Speaking with respect to the IRC rules, I’ve always been a proponent of spending time submitting rule changes vice typing on forums (which will have no real impact on rules or interpretations). The steps are pretty easy.
    1) become a member
    2) build a boat
    3) show up to battle
    4) write rule proposal
    I heard some talk about maybe expanding the ship list at nats this year so others might be in favor

daisycutter likes this.
  9. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

I think "fast gun" is a better format WE HAVE REGULAR REGIONAL AND LOCAL BATTLES AND NATIONALS!!
    Torpedos????? who has built a 144th scale torpedo

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Hey that makes sense to me haha like I said not trying to start arguments or even get rule changes (is especially in a format I have yet to participate in) just trying to gain knowledge.

11. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

When we get the first 144th scale plane shooting bbs at ships I’m going home.

Nibbles1, Xanthar and kgaigalas like this.
  12. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'd be going home before it got to the 'shooting at ships' part in that scenario

13. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

not to mention the Federal Law against armed drones.

14. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Better yet, dropping torpedoes : )

PS. 1/96th scale fighters have been done. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  15. Nibbles1

But if we can make 1/144 planes, we can make 1/144 AA... okay that would be complicated

Also @kgaigalas, I thought we weren't comparing formats :D

16. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

You are right, we should not compare formats.:rolleyes::oops::oops:
    My comment suggested (in as few words as possible), go to a battle and decide.:)

Nibbles1 likes this.
  17. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Follow up rule question:
    For rib spacing, it seems that as long as ribs are at least 1” apart the can be up to 3/8” wide. Is this apply for all rib sizes? For example, if one was to have two 3/8” wide ribs next to each other they only have to be 1” apart? Or is there a rule similar to how big gun has it saying essentially that you need 1” space per 1/8” of thickness? Does that question make sense?
    Thanks
    Jon

18. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

From the rules:

b. Ribs shall not be made of material exceeding 3/8" in width at their widest point.
    c. Ribs shall not be spaced less than 1" apart measured from their centers.

so long as your ribs are no wider then 3/8", and not closer then 1" centre to centre, and the hard area along the ship does not exceed 15% of total length, you are good. The spacing has no relation to rib size in ircwcc rules other then not being closer them 1" centre to centre.

jstod likes this.
  19. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Rib spacing(center to center) and rib size are unrelated. Two 3/8" ribs 1" apart are fine, the gap between the edges of them would only be 5/8". That is useful some areas but you run out of hard area pretty quick if you go crazy with it.

20. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Awesome that’s how I read it but wanted to check! Thank you