Fast Gun Texas--Operational

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Anvil_x, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Really? Where in the rules does it say that?

2. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

here, check this out.

with my *crappy* mounting technique, I could not get the gun mounted better than horizontal, hence the bended barrel. after much fiddling this morning, here's what I have now.
    It's around 15 degrees now, from what I can tell. Once I fix the haymaker I'll be legally able to compete in contests that I can't afford on a forester's salary because the government pays us below the poverty line. bit of a moot woohoo, lol

IMG_20180617_114744[1].jpg

3. Anvil_x

lol oh boy.

Yeah, you guys have fun with this. I'm just going to go back to following Tyler and @Bob 's advice and get these silly bends out of my barrels by making less crappy gun mounts.

rcaircraftnut and NickMyers like this.
  4. Beaver

Yeah, I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just curious because I don't know of a clause in the rules that bans it.

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Beaver likes this.
  6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Others have done it, and their have been arguments pond side at Nats, and it was determined to be against the spirit of the rules, or some such. Lots of rules are not followed, or made up when its convenient for one side or the other.

rcaircraftnut and Anvil_x like this.
  7. Anvil_x

I swear, half the fun of this forum is the dry humor, memes, and rule submarines.
    Just fixed the problem. took a little long because the stainless steel barrel went out of round, so I made a new barrel for it. the haymaker barrel's straight too, sans problems. Though I am only cranking about five degrees down, but I am going to rip up that mount later and get a nice respectable down angle on it.

Just took a closer look at the photo. that looks a lot steeper than it is in real life. but I did the trig and it's 15.64 degrees.
    IMG_20180617_130430[1].jpg

rcaircraftnut, Panzer and Kevin P. like this.
  8. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

looks good, if you want the steeper down angles, pretty much have to bring the nut out of the turret, unless you bend it under the turret. have seen it done both ways.

9. Anvil_x

yeah I am fine with it right now. I moved onto the stern to try and get that one in similar condition, but..... I managed to kink the mag tube to the point where I'm "throw things" angry at it, and had to set it down to keep from breaking things.

I will probably see if I can find a torch later this week so I can rip out the mag tube. No copper tubing to be had in non-bulk form, so I am probably going to genie something together with that high-strength reinforced polymer stuff. I have seen several people on the site use it in the forum to good effects, and have handled similar tomfoolery before in non-boat applications. Long term is that I am going to replace it. But this not-copper tubing will allow me to test several different mag configurations before I go and do it with copper tubing once I get the ideal layout.

still a bit impressed that copper is the mag material of choice given all of the inherent problems with the material

10. Beaver

1/4" brakeline works well for magazines. Can be soldered to the tee and is harder than copper. It may take a tubing bender to form it though. I've heard that you can form it with your hands, but I've always had access to a tubing bender to have never tried.

11. Anvil_x

that may work out. NAPA has brake lines here.

On a slightly related note, what was that pneumatics part supply site you used alot? I was just tooling through the thread trying to find the link you posted

12. Anvil_x

lol just found the link. Disregard!

13. Beaver

What link is that, I forget. :D

14. Anvil_x

McMaster Carr

rcaircraftnut and Beaver like this.
  15. Anvil_x

16. Beaver

Oh yes, McMaster is good. :D
    You may want to talk with Steve about that mag setup, I think he had some issues getting it to work properly.

17. Anvil_x

good to know. I have a backup plan with the brake line stuff though, so I'm not too worried. thanks btw

18. Beaver

No problem, always glad to help. You've done a really nice job on the Texas. I look forward to seeing your future improvements. :)

19. Anvil_x

So far I have found a PTC similar to what he attached on the back end, and I am trying to figure out what the deal is with this: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/how-to-plastic-tubing-to-brass-connection.444515/

trouble is, I don't know what the size and thread pattern of the Strike guns are. I think the 1/16 barb fitting on the end is 10-32, so I have a brass version of the end part of what he did. But with regard to connecting the 1/4 tubing to the T-fitting on the bottom of the gun.... constructing his mod is a bit outside of my tool capabilities are right now, so I am trying to hunt down a ready-made brass one. the plastic one is rated to 150 PSI, but I am not so sure that I should be running something at the top of its rating.
    Here's the links of what I am currently looking at:
    back end:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#5779K443
    Front end:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#9087k46/=1dbwr11
    (running off of the thread link for this one--I don't know if 7/16"-24 is the right size)

Any suggestions?

20. Anvil_x

these are the threads I reference on the Tee
    IMG_20180617_203612[1].jpg