Fast Gun Texas--Operational

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Anvil_x, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Those are 1/4" compression threads. For the custom attachment fitting Steve has developed all the tooling you really need is a drill and preferably a vice, but pliers will work if you're careful. Drill out the nut to 5/16' and put in a collet. Slide that on the tubing, add two orings, and tighten down.
    If you don't have the stuff to make them I can make you a few and mail them to you.

Panzer likes this.
  2. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

PM Charlie he should be able to answer that as well as check with steve as far as what he did on his end.

3. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

or this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:rolleyes::)

beaver you answered while I was typing:laugh:

Beaver likes this.
  4. Beaver

Oh, I'm sorry! :laugh:;)

5. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

lol quite a party we have going here

so I have no source for the nuts locally, and McMaster-Carr is not making them easy to find. is this it?
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#50675k124/=1dbxbe5

my big problem right now is that I do NOT know where the keys to my tool box are located. still searching for them, but for now, my drill and drill bits are indisposed. I was really hoping there was an off-the-shelf adapter for 1/4 PTC to compression fitting

6. Beaver

7. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I wouldn't throw in the towel on copper tubing yet, a 10ft roll isn't too expensive at home depot or lowes. There was a tube bender thread out there at some point if you need to go beyond hand-capabilities. A magazine change out is about a 30 min job.

There are typically teething pains with plastic magazine, and on a large ship they really aren't needed

8. Anvil_x

I appreciate the offer, Beaver. but is this the nut I am looking for?
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#50915k123/=1dbxjlz

Yeah, I guess this might be a bit of a Pipe dream, Kevin. I'm going to stop by Ace tomorrow afternoon and see what I can find on the shelf before I jump into anything. The original idea was to cut the tubing already on there, and try to use that reinforced stuff that I have seen people use before. it's just a finicky pain in the neck to work with the copper tubing, and to have it be so susceptible to BB hits. I figured it might be worth it to cut out the middle man and just roll with something flexible and to a degree, more durable.

That, and doing this is a bit of a coping mechanism right now. death in the family.

9. Anvil_x

*just found my toolbox keys!!*

10. Kevin P.

My condolences, looking into a mini project makes total sense.

Just for perspective, if I had to rank reliability, copper would be at the top of my list. If you cover the magazine with the clear tubing I mentioned a while ago it removes the possibility of BB damage. I use compression fittings on the joints to the T on my guns, so disassembly for troubleshooting is easier than with the soldered connection that came with the kit. Once you get the initial bends down, there is generally very little risk additional kinks. Also there are fewer potential failure mechanisms at the two ends of the magazine compared to the plastic tubing. I get pretty good mileage out of my guns with no copper magazine failures.

A couple of people have used plastic mags successfully, I need to revisit them for my Tromp. Initial testing lead to a lot of magazine ejection casualties, but Caleb (beaver) hooked me up with some better collets to try out. I also wasn't a huge fan of having to open up a push to connect fitting for every fill. I am thankful for those that take the time and effort to figure out new ideas, but like always I want to make sure the data about what ~90% of active battlers use gets out there for reference

11. Anvil_x

okay cool. Yeah I would love to avoid soldering things in. that's the one thing I have against my current guns. did you use a flare tool on the tubing to make the compression fitting work?
    and... off to bed. have a week of wildland firefighter training ahead. Y'all have a good night and thanks for the input

12. Kevin P.

No just the Delrin sleeves and compression nut, very simple and reliable

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  13. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Dude, you trying to build some Stynger's? FYI, I don't use any solder whatsoever in these. PM me if you want details. Go get yourself the HF tubing bender if you want to be serious about cannon building.

[​IMG]

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  14. Logan Gyre

Logan Gyre Member

15. Beaver

I think he's just trying to fix the kinked mag in a gun, not build one. :)
    And yes, the infamous Styngers. We need to fight each other more, Steve. I'm still no fully convinced I should be scared of them yet. :D

Kevin P. likes this.
  16. Anvil_x

Thanks, I was just looking at making a coil mag setup out of plastic tubing after a bit of frustration with the copper tubing ones I have. What fitting are you using on the back end of the mag btw? I found a brass one similar to it, but could not find a polymer one like those white things you have on the end of yours.

as it stands, I'm going to scrounge up some parts for a compression fitting copper tubing mag, and since the setup is screw-in, I'm also going to use that same gun to try out the plastic tubing magazine setup you've built.

Speaking of which,

What's a delrin sleeve? this guy?
    View: https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-Fitting-Delrin-Sleeve/dp/B01LXT9HGR

I don't need an O-ring for this, do I? Also, the advert says that it can be used for plastic tubing as well, would it be possible to just use a delrin instead of putting together the PTC setup that Steve uses to attach his mags?

17. Beaver

18. Anvil_x

Oh okay. good to know. thanks for the links. current plan is to cruise the local hardware stores and see what they have, and get the rest online.
    the unforeseen problem tonight was that I am working from 6 to 6 all week, and the hardware stores are open 7-6.
    So tomorrow, I am going to try and get back to park falls early tomorrow and make it in. plus there's a cute girl that works there. she has rainbow suspenders, so she *must* be cool.

19. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

She might have long hair, but that's not a lady
    upload_2018-6-18_21-43-57.jpeg

WillCover, rcaircraftnut and Kevin P. like this.
  20. Anvil_x

ah no, I met him at a USO show back in the day.

Lou likes this.