Fast gun vs. Big gun

Discussion in 'Scenarios / Gameplay' started by jstod, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I feel like that would increase the maneuvering work rather then reduce it because a big gun captain could in theory leave his ship either sitting still or on a singal course or even doing lazy maneuvering and just focus on rotating his/her guns

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Mayhaps. Even in big gun though, maneuvering is the key to getting a good shot. While a captain is trying to get the right turret angle and elevation in big gun, his target simply has to turn away or even turn in closer to spoil the chance of getting hit ... and all the while the target's maneuvers are putting him into a better position for a good shot.

3. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

True but Id say the rotating turrets give it a distinct advantage although the captain may have more to focus on.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Tugboat really summed up the issue here. In the real world, there are a few special mis-matches that a good Big Gun skipper can use to take advantage of a bad Fast Gun skipper. But ther other 99% of the time, it's not even a real competition. It's kinda like fighting a Spad XIII vs a Fokker Eindecker armed with a 37mm field howitzer. Sure it's a heckuva wallop if that cannon hits, but no half-sane SPAD pilot would ever let himself get shot by an Eindecker.

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Haha was that english??

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I've wondered how a fast gun ship would fare against big gun if it slowed down to big gun speeds but was otherwise as per fast gun rules. That helps bring the two on par for maneuverability, which is (in my opinion) the biggest disparity between the two formats. There's still rate of fire and pumping capacity, but I think the big gun ship would actually have a chance, albeit a small one.

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

So one of the arguments for the fast gun ship winning was the pumping capacity. I may be incorrect but big gun ships (depending on the club) do not have a limit on capacity and are allowed a 1/4" outlet to the fast gun 1/8" outlet so wouldn't that mean theoretically that the big gunner would have the advantage in pumping as well?

8. mike5334

Correct. One club essentially does not have GPM limits other than the 1/4 outlet. Theoretically, a ship in that club could pump upwards of 10 or so gallons a minute if the captain was willing to accept the power drain on his batteries. And with today's LiFE batteries, the amp draw and power drain is well within acceptable limits.

That would go a long way to even out the two formats. I imagine the big gun ship would be relaying on the defense of huge GPM pump while the fast gun ship would rely on the amazing offensive power of it's rapid firing cannons. Would be an interesting battle for sure! :)

9. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

By slowing down the ship turning circle diameter might actually become smaller while the rate it turns would probably slow down. If the ROF was unlimited it might help the Big Gun'ers a little. There are two distinct pumping rule sets. The WWCC does 1/4" outlets. Others do a certain capacity e.g. 1gpm. If it was a battle with a ship that has 3 1/4" outlets and a regular fast gun ship it would be tough. Especially if it was a sodak with well setup guns. With 3 outlets I bet they could pump 15-20 gpm if high power pumps were used. That would be tough to sink.

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

My understanding of the WWCC rules is that every ship can have at least one 1/4" outlet but once the tonnage gets high enough it can have two outlets (i forget the tonnage range) but number of outlet depends on ship size by the rules. however! there is no rule (in WWCC) that limits the number of pumps so theoretically I could have mulit pumps pumping to the same outlet increasing my pumping even more! As for the batteries I met a guy in the WWCC who had his pump hooked up to its own battery in his Iowa. (at maker fair he forgot to plug it in so the crowd got to see an Iowa sink (; lol) So theoretically useing a certain set of rules at least the big gunner could make his ship be able to take exponentially more damage then the fast gunner could dish out. those multi inch long holes wouldn't worry the skipper as much in a big gun boat as in fast gun.

Also the larger caliber rounds have, in my opinion, a higher likely hood of doing internal damage even with the blast shield. Might crack a rib or two or blow a rudder away.

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Blow a rudder away? Not a chance in Hell. Crack a rib enough to affect the outcome of a battle? Not a chance in Hell. Big Gun cannons aren't firing .22LR... And they have to pass a penetration test, you know, for safety, so that they aren't so powerful that they could put holes in the organics controlling the ships. So in case I didn't say it clearly enough... Not a chance in HELL of siginifcant damage. :)

And from my experience, no captain of any stripe is going to be happy about inch-long holes in the hull. Regardless of pump capacity. Even with speeds equalized, All I have to do is run away and let you chase my quad sterns. Even if you catch me and get in a few shots (tricky, since I'll be turning and running again, good luck with the deflection shot), you will spend hours after the battle resheeting the shredded bow of your ship. BTW, a bunch of inch-long holes in the bow act as water scoops when you're driving forward. So you'd have help getting enough water to prime your pumps.

12. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Hahaha I can dream cant I? :p If I did this battle I think it would have to be a fight to the death aka first to sink loses. Scoring by hits and what not is all good when your in your own format but in my opinion if your opponent don't sink its a draw no matter how many hits. (this obviously applies to a one on one ship contest preferably a fast vs big gun ship).

I think to make it fair and allow each format to take advantage of their strengths these could be some basic guidelines:

1) Battle is not over until one or the other sinks
    2) must follow rule set of construction for given ruleset
    3) must follow speed restrictions of your rule set
    4) there is no scoring other then to determine hit percentages but the winner is the last one afloat
    5) returning to port follows your clubs rule set however no damage may be repaired or water removed (other then by pump) unless ref determines ram damage.
    6) must follow ruleset on reloading.
    7) after sinking opponent must make it into port area afloat otherwise its a draw

I think this would make it a fair fight and even the odds a bit because with not being able to rely on scoring the fast gunner cant just hit and run the winner is the one who is afloat at the end. Fast gunners would have to worry about batteries more so then big gunners.

13. Tugboat

Hehe... Who said anything about scoring? Wet pants is the only scoring method that counts!!!! :) :) :)

14. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I agree but with potentially 2 to 3 1/4" outlets the big gun ship has a distinct pumping advantage

15. mike5334

Typically, fast gun clubs remove ships from the water to reload and regas. During the process, water will have to be removed from the hull. Perhaps rule 5 will need tweaked for that.

16. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Is that between sorties tho?

17. Tugboat

Yes, because when you carry a battleship that weighs 45 pounds, with another 5 gallons of freshwater in it, it weighs 85 pounds. In Fast Gun, you can't repair the damage between sorties, but you can dump out water and rearm. If it's that close (leaving water in vs dumping between sorties), odds are you'll sink within a minute of sitting it back in the water.

18. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

YA true but this would be a strait battle to the death. no reloads until both ships are out of ammo...

19. Tugboat

In that case, I would dump my 50 round magazines into the Big Gun ship, and run my 5 minutes out and get off the water. No point in sticking around with no ammo.

20. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

But then you are surrendering arent you? Remember this isnt a normal battle. Obviously the rules and what not would have to be worked out before hand. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.