Fast gun vs. Big gun

Discussion in 'Scenarios / Gameplay' started by jstod, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No, surrendering would be not firing a shot :) Firing all the ammo you have onboard, and then leaving the scene is _prudence_. If you don't allow reloads, there's no sense in remaining to be shot up.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Disengaging the enemy when you are out of ammo isn't generally considered a surrender, seems more like common sense to me. Plus the fast gun 5 min rule would be "returning to port following your clubs rule set" which is rule #5 that you laid out above.

I still don't think this would be much of a battle unless you changed the rules so much that it isn't really Fast Gun vs Big Gun which seems to defeat the point. With the speed and maneuverability advantage the fast gun ship could probably avoid taking any damage while feeding the big gun ship stern guns. Call 5, avoid for 5 min which again 1on1 isnt to hard when you have speed and maneuverability, reload, do it again. If you dont want to count points this could just keep going all day.

Fast gun batteries can last a LONG time, especially if you have no damage so you aren't pumping. For instance my Bismarck's batteries will last ~4 straight hours at full throttle, which I wouldn't have to be at for this battle due to the whole speed and maneuver bit. So assume ~10min a sortie for a 1on1 with a 5 min reload period. I can do this for 6 hours. 24 sorties, 2400 bbs (if I only use my dual stern guns), all while taking probably nil in terms of damage (you're not blasting through my solid stern and that's all you'll ever see if I play smart and don't get bored, speed and maneuver again) Even if nobody sinks, one boat has a bunch of holes and the other doesn't have any, the winner is pretty obvious.

3. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Winner is the last boat afloat. Obviously battle rules wod have to be determined but as longas the arming and construction rules follow your
    Club then it's still fast gun vs big gun. I wonder if different class of ship would have different outcomes in one on one combat?

4. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Which misses the point entirely.

Big-gun ships are designed to slug it out, broadside to broadside, exchanging salvos of fire in the finest Nelsonian tradition "where no captain can do wrong who places his ship alongside that of the enemy". They will stand between an enemy vessel and a merchant, absorbing damage which would doom the precious cargo vessel.

Fast-gun ships are more cut and thrust, using speed and manueverability much more in their combat, more akin to the way destroyers and cruisers fight. They fight in a swirling mass of furious action, machinegunning each other to bits. The word Dogfight comes to mind.

Pitting them against each other?

Apples and Oranges, people.

5. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

I'd like to point out that there are Big Gun destroyers, light cruisers and heavy cruisers that carry torpedoes and/or bb guns. Some of these smaller Big Gun ships are as fast as Fast Gun battleships and battlecruisers, and potentially as maneuverable. As for pumping capacity, different clubs have different rule sets, but there is no theoretical limit to the pumping capacity of a WWCC ship.

I'd like to put this concept of Big Gun vs Fast Gun to an actual test, and I'm hereby inviting anyone who would care to participate in such a match to come to the 2013 California Maker Faire in San Mateo, California (3rd weekend in May), for an exhibition match in our Battle Pond (40' x 72') before a live audience of 1,100 spectators. All are welcome, and we'll shoot lots of video for YouTube, as well as stream it live.

Rob

6. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Once My Tirpitz is operational I will also accept any challenge from a fast gunner... should be tempting as I am a rookie skipper ;)

7. Tugboat

Well, we have a few Big Gun guys in the Southeast, and a Labor Day battle coming up. I'll put Lil Scharnie on the line against one of them. If a pack of battleships couldn't sink me when I had to run around with no rudder, then one BG boat is unlikely to get me. Always possible, though. I'm still faster than someone's 40-odd knot torpedo boat, though.

8. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Don't forget the video Tugs, I would like to see that. :)
    J

9. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Yes please video it.

10. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

I still find it so very strange that fat gun does not scale up to 1/96 and use corvettes and smaller, and Big Gun uses 1/144 and builds Light Cruisers and above. Makes sense to me - and that woud be more historical as well. But thats my take on things. Not crimping on anyones style :). Then more people could play against each other, instead of having these differences. I think it be a hoot to have a cool German type Z destroyer for Fast Gun, but a stately, slow and ponderous Dreadnaught for slugging it out. But I'd never consider building a battleship that runs like a torpedo boat. Kinda weired. Anyway - I know thats a hot topic so I'll leave it at that :) But my next build will definately be something small, for the challenge of it.

11. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I also think it would be awesome to have a joint battle of Axis vs Allies of combined teams fast gun and big gun ships. get like 20-30 ships on each team at a huge RC naval combat event call it the super national naval combat open. or something catchy.

12. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

I'm just wishing there was someone who knew what they were doing up here in Anchorage. As it is, I'll probably have to build this H-39 and finish the Nelson, and or just get it in the water and meet people. I like taking my big plans to the hobbystore and laying it on the floor...while looking for parts and pieces. Caught the eye of a few people already...but its sloooow going. At best, I'll look at a year or two or three before I can battle. Patience...

13. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I bet if you get 2 or 3 operational ships and get your friends out there ppl will start to show more interest.

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

2 ships and a friend is all you need to start battling. Sail without combat load in some higher visibility local ponds to attract attention and questions, then get them hooked on the awesomeness.

15. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

That sounds like a good plan. I'm very comfortable with the build so far, but I'm starting to get anxious with the whole RC thing...never done anything at all with RC before as weird as that sounds. I get the concept and the technology behind it, and somewhat familiar with servoes and such now, but its still daunting. Alot of money for some of those devices without knowing exactly what I need...I know what I want, but:
    1 Channel for Motor on/off. One for the Speed Controller(s). I think I need 3 of those, as I have brushed motors (550's). One servo for the rudder I think (3 rudders). One servo for each gun twin, so thats 2 more. One for each or all guns depressing to make it easy (can they be all slaved together like that...meaning 4 servoes working on one signal?). And then something for the pump(s). So 6 channels? I'm sure there is a thread for all this - just brainstorming right now.

16. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

YOu need 1ch for forward/reverse 1ch for turning 1ch for gun rotation 1ch for gun depression 1ch for gun firing both bow and aft guns and 1ch for turning your pump off and on.

So including gun depression and pump channels you need a total of 6ch. you can have servos act as one using a servo splitter. thats my plan with my ship. I will have all my guns rotate to one side or the other and depress together but then have my bow guns fire separate from my aft guns.

17. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Makes sense - thanks for sharing! Servo splitter - thats a new term for me. Intersting. Ok - I see the sense in that. Cool :)
    Thomas

18. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I think its actually called a servo Synchronizer but basically the whole purpose of it is to allow 1ch to control multiple servos

19. Tugboat

Thread has veered way off topic, locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.