Fast Gun vs. Big Gun

Discussion in 'General' started by Scharnhorst56, Jun 17, 2015.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

So which regs are 'high flow' and which are 'insufficient' ?

(This is a serious question, no sarcasm, I've never thought hard about the scfm rate on a reg previously)

2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Williams (including light weight version) reg- insufficient for some setups
    many of the common paintball regs have the flow but are too unstable at our pressures
    Palmer Pursuit regs and stabilizers- are generally good enough. You MUST oil these regs as per the recommendations
    New strike models regs are good (Stephen put a lot of work into the specifications and materials)

That's all off the top of my head and some of that info is a bit dated

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Very interesting. I'll have to ask Stephen if he has flow numbers for the various regs.

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Most battlers I know use the Williams regulator, although they may tap the 10/32 up to 1/8 npt OR add a second 10/32 port to the top of it. I have seen some of the best battlers in the MWCI use Williams, so I am curious how it was determined that the Williams wont work in certain setups. What data is being used to make this assertion?

I use a palmers regulator and have been since 2009... it can go faster than I can..and while I cant shoot quite as fast as Machine Gun Mangus.. I can get close. One thing I like about my setup is even when covered in ice... it still works.

I wouldn't want new captains to get the wrong impression about some of these products when they have been in use for such a long time, without proper data to back it up.

5. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Do not forget the rotation and depression servos and all the splitters and extensions for all the extra servos and the stainless steel barrels and the special 1/4" ammo that you have to order for Big Gun. You can not just run down to the sporting good store and get your BB's. I do not know what size bottle a standard fast gun uses but a Big Gun Battleship will use a 12 to 16 oz bottle. I used a 16 oz bottle and one regulator ( 8 second rate of fire) in my H39.

6. buttsakauf

No data is being used... it is just information... off the top of my head. It is from what I have witnessed or had relayed directly to me from people who have used those items and found them lacking in some measure. I have used everything commonly available except the new strike reg. Fast gun design and the quantity of them being supplied greatly affects the regulator being able to keep up. Generally all the regulators can keep up with a single fast gun cannon. However a high flow triple capable of Mangus speeds is a different animal entirely and that is why I stipulated that certain regulators are not universally capable of meeting demand. Setups differ and to me a proper setup leaves the person as the limiting factor, not the components.

7. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Opinion does not make fact. You said they 'won't' work... that is not true or else Mangus would be the only high flow Captain we have. I have seen high flow guns (Tim Beckett) and wouldn't characterize Mike's gun as 'High Flow' but rather 'Fast'. I suppose we would have to stipulate what 'high flow' means but the RATE of fire is certainly NOT 'high flow'. High flow would suggest to me that more air is being pushed through the solenoid with each button press and as a result.. would fire at a lower rate of fire, however that may not be true... High flow guns may shoot just as fast as regular cannons.. I just haven't observed it... yet.

The point is not about flow.. its about making broad opinionated statements on which equipment will or won't work without any data or research to support it. I have a palmer and I cant move my finger fast enough to out-run my regulator. I am SURE my regulator could handle anything it is asked to do and in fact will be soon when I finish my cruiser.

The Williams regulator is most likely the most utilized regulator in the hobby and there are many captains capable of firing at a high rate. Now if you want to re-qualify you statement as triples.... I have never seen Mangus run triples.. but other folks have run triples and I have seen them fire very fast. So in this one statement I will agree because I have never seen it... 'high flow triples are a different animal and some regulators may not work in this case'.. which also means that until it has been done.. that NO regulator may work in this scenario.

Once again my concern is folks that are not knowledgeable in this hobby may read such statements like yours, assume you have done the research to support the claims, and then make ill-fated purchasing decisions based on that. I still believe local battlers are the best providers of advice to new recruits that are just getting started.

Have a great weekend!!

J

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I have many Williams regulators. Some of them late 90s old. I have run high flow high speed trips. Worked just fine. I have a couple that even on a single gun will not keep up if I have not oiled them. Maintenance is needed to make things work right. So you're both right. Move on.

9. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

And a crazy group i might add, Meet a lot of them at my first meet with them in 2009. :p

10. buttsakauf

Well said Bob that is a perfect illustration that there are many variables that determine the suitability and cost of a setup. Which is all I was trying to say.