Few Questions on Hull Construction on Iowa Class

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Cannonman, May 17, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Ughhh...... thanks cannon I would love to see them and if you run into any thing you think I could use or should look out for good or bad just sing out

2. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Here's A few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I mentioned earlier in this post, the skegs are a little wierd, and the Goff plans really don't match the plans on the Missouri site in this area real well, at least in my opinion. It is a little hard to tell though, since on the Big Mo site, it is hard to conceptualize exactly where everything fits. Again, if it were printed out to scale, things would be easier to decipher.

The raised bow is a little bit of a pain too. As you can see, I went with a baseboard type construction, but even if using a keel, the strength of the deck wants to flex the keel or baseboard down. I plan on cutting some kerfs in the deck to help it flex, and reinforcing the baseboard before attaching the deck permenatly.

To do it over again, I would probably go with the double keel construction, but the jury is still out on that one. I went baseboard, and cut the water channel through it, to maximize interior space. I'll 'glass over the hole when the time comes.

I accidently cut a couple of ribs from an outdated version of my CAD file, so I have to remake them before I can get the deck on. If that real life thing would just let up for awhile, I could get going again[^]

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Wow, good job, its looking really good. Also, I like that colorado in the background, nothing like a pick up truck

4. Cannonman

Thanks, I'm going to try to keep plugging along!! It will be a couple weeks minimum before I have enough time to get rolling again. Been so preoccupied lately. I think this is the first time I've been on the forum in a week or so.

Thanks on the truck too... That's my '05 Colorado Extreme Garage queen. Just hit 10,000 miles about a week ago...... Geez, I don't even have time to enjoy washing it anymore[:(]

5. BoomerBoy17

Good luck. and you think the bow is hard to make, ha, imagine actually crawling up that thing, which i did on the museum ship, the wisconsin. and yea, thats a nice truck.

6. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Cannonman,
    That looks very nice. Are you going to mount the hull in a jig when you start laying out the stringers? Again, very nice job.

7. Cannonman

I haven't decided how I'm going to approach it. Once I get the rest of the ribs, and the baseboard reinforced, and the cap rail/ deck kerfed to flex, I'll see how it seems like it's going to go. I do have a very mild twist in it now. Mostly from me being a fool and allowing the weight of the clamp to hang off to one side while glue dried. Of course, the glue dried, and "locked in" the twist. I did use essentially the crappiest glue I could find, so I could easily break it apart if need be, since I'm a first time builder and all. The twist is so mild I don't think that is necessary.

Actually I was hoping I could clamp the baseboard flat on my table saw while the cap rail is drying to hold it straight. The notches you see on the ouside of the ribs are to hold the stringer, which is there just to give the sheeting a little more to hold to. Hopefully things will stay straight enough that I don't have to try to come up with a fixture to hold it that way, but we will see when the time comes.

8. BoomerBoy17

wow, a first time builder and you went for an Iowa, thats ballzy right there. and yeah, like they say "if at first you dont suceed, get rid of all the evidence that you ever tried"[:D]

9. Powder Monkey

Nice work cannon
    I realy like the tool box [:D]

[​IMG]

10. Powder Monkey

What is the black on the Ribs?

I would go with a jig system and make it as straight as you can now once you glass it is over and you want it to be as good as you can get it you don’t want poor performance later

11. BoomerBoy17

wow, monk, you have a craftsman too. how interesting!

12. Powder Monkey

Dude are you for real [:(!]

13. BoomerBoy17

Totally dude

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Nice work !!

15. Cannonman

Actually I used a weaker glue so if I needed to break some of the joints and make changes or such it would be easier, and figured I can strengthen all of the joints with epoxy later if things work out, but I guess it does also make disposal easier if things go awry[V]

Monk, I had to do a double take when I saw the pic. of your tool box!!!!
    I thought "Man, I don't remember taking that picture!"

The black on the ribs is a "residue". They were laser cut, and the black is sort of a soot left over from the process. I tried to sand it off, but it was kind of persistant, and I didn't want to alter the geometry any, so I didn't sand very hard.

16. Powder Monkey

LOL me too all but the middle box they don’t make our box any more had to settle on all red [:(]
    As far as the choice on glue smart move. I always use CA but small amounts till I’m done. when you Glass it that’s when it will all get locked in. my son had to change his ribs 4 times today LOL things we found wrong from first build and than trying to rush [:0]

So far it looks great keep up the good work

17. Cannonman

Thanks Monk.. and the rest, for the kind words of encouragement, and all of the advice everyone has given along the way!!! [:D][8D]

18. wrenow

wrenow RIP

I think these may have moved to Visit this site

Regardless, a really good set of scans of the plans.

Cheers,