Fiberglass from autoparts store?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by donanton, Sep 12, 2007.

1. donanton

donanton Member

IRCWCC Rules Apply
    A while ago I was reading one of the many rc warship forums, and someone said they fiberglassed the impenetrable bottom part of his hull with a fiberglass kit he got from an autoparts store like strauss or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I posted it, and I used the packs they sell at Napa for like $5. Good stuff, plenty tough. And, it actually does better on tight compound curves than the "hobby" 'glass they sell in Hobbytown.

3. donanton

donanton Member

Is it the same cancer causing work as regular fiberglass?

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

LOL- fiberglass doesn't cause cancer in it's "natural" form. When you cut tiny pieces in the process of cutting bigger pieces, the lil tiny ones can go airborne and you can breathe them. In your lungs, they can cause problems. The simple solution is to wear a simple mask when working with fiberglass (and gloves, because little sticky-outy parts that you can barely see will get in your skin and itch. Not really harmful on a small scale, but annoying!

So: wear a mask and gloves, and you'll be fine. I work with fiberglass a lot, so I bought a very comfortable mask that cost more than the standard ones you see in 3 and 5-packs at Lowe's. But even those will do the job just fine.

5. donanton

donanton Member

Thanks. I still need to even get the drawings from www.usswashington.com to 1/144 scale, so i'm still a ways off.

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I would second the vote for getting a good mask. They make a better seal too. Also remember ventilation is your friend.

j.

7. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Another good idea is to use a vacuum cleaner with a disposable bag for your cleanup, and cover your glassing workbench with layers of newspaper - just roll it up into a bundle (slowly) and dispose. Keep airborne particles to a minimum, use a mask and cut the glass matt as little as possible.