Fiberglass hulls.

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by rcaircraftnut, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I have decided to try my hand at making hulls. I have done some glass work in the past and I am confident in my ability to overcome issues as they crop up. The main reason for this is the fact that I prefer the battlestations format over the fast gun format but the only options are to build from scratch or get a lazer cut wood kit. Most guys seem to prefer the ease of contruction of starting with a glass hull. If some were avail I think it would help put more captains to sea. I am getting tired of one on one sorties with Phill. Lol.
    So I am going to start out with a well known and liked ship. Also a personal favorite. The Narvik class Z boat destroyer. I finally got the seakeeping issues sorted on the Mogador last year and it would be much better if the wood framing wasnt in the way everywhere, so fiberglass is the answer. It can be armed with bow and stern bb cannons as well as 1/4" torpedo cannons. All in all a potent little fighter.
    Once I get the Z boats going I will expand the options. I am not doing this to make money. These will be priced to recover my costs and a bit for my time. This is a project to promote the hobby. That is the true intent and purpose. Any help and or suggestions welcomed.
    For the second hull I am wanting to do something that can be made into multiple ships and or can be either axis or allied. Since this is to promte participation, the more versitile in this regard the better. Suggestions?

dietzer, rcengr and Beaver like this.
  2. rcaircraftnut

I know the other issue is lack of cannon availability. I think I can possibly come up with an answer to that question but getting the hulls is priority. Guys can build em up while they wait for cannons. Its the whole chicken and egg issue. Lol. So lets keep this thread about hulls for now please.

3. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

nut,
    If i remember Right the Narvik class Z destroyers are one of the light ones, and size-wise, the same as a small light cruiser.
    Niki

4. rcaircraftnut

Already have all the info I need about the z boats. Thanks. This thread is to discuss what OTHER hulls to possibly produce. I dont need to know any history, specs, ect. Again, I build em to fight, not be a museum piece with a full history write-up. Lol.

5. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

If you are favoring DD's, I would recommend a Gearing hull. Big for a DD, reasonable speed, well armed.

For cruisers, I'd say a Cleveland hull. Or maybe a Mogami since it could be built as a light or heavy cruiser. A Trento or Pola would also be nice.

For BBs, a SoDac hull would be great. Small, but well armed.

6. rcaircraftnut

Just starting with the z boat as it is popular and will fast to complete and get on the water. All subsequent offerings will be by request. I cant get people to buy hulls and build them into targets er um ships yeah thats it ships. If they arent hulls people like. Lol.

7. NASAAN101

Nut,
    how much are you selling the Z-boats?
    Nikki

8. rcaircraftnut

A bit early for that. Besides, you need to finish one of the ones you already have before you try to even think about buying any more.

NickMyers likes this.
  9. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Sorry, I thought you were asking for recommendations on what to build after the Z-boat hull mold was done.

By all means, build the Z-boat first!

10. rcaircraftnut

I was asking for recomendations. And I am considering every one you made. I appoligize for any confusion.

11. rcaircraftnut

The Gearing or Fletcher class would be good, but a Mogador could fight on either side. So many choices.
    I dont see many guys doing the battleships on the large end but some of the smaller treaty bb's could work. Deffinatly want to do a dreadnot and pre dn or two.

12. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Tribal Class (RN/DD) Battle Class (RN/DD)
    Or Lord Nelson (RN/PDN)

13. NASAAN101

I like the Tribal Class (RN/DD)

14. rcaircraftnut

Lord Nelson it is then.
    Seriously though thanks and I will keep them in mind.

15. rcaircraftnut

Ok guys I have news. Just got word I am allowed to produce the torpedoe cannons designed by BigGunJeff. Big thanks to Jeff for doing this. As I have stated before these will be made available for as low a price as I can do and still allow me to add further development of new products. I.E. a very small mark up over my cost. I also will not do any 1/144th hulls or bb cannons of similar designs to what is already offered by B.C. or Tyngtech. I will not be allowing myself to compete with these fine gentlemen as I would hate to think I may have hurt their business in any way.

So now that we have a design and soon the means to produce it, 3d printer is in shipment, I need a name for this outfit. Should be something axis. But not too cheeky. Lol. I am bad enough about that on my own. Hopefully my personality won't get in the way of things with customers. I may have to stop posting as me and start posting as the dumbed down watery P.C. version of me. As much as I hate the idea. Sometimes you just have to do things to keep things ya know?

16. rcaircraftnut

I will build and test the first ones and when I am satisfied with the end product I will post an announcement with pricing etc. Should be sometime in the next month or two.

Plan to start on the plug for the z boat next week if the weather is good. I have to work outside for now until my shop gets delivered. Hopefully I can get that by next month as well. I am getting excited as well as impatient lol.

If anyone has a set of plans in pdf format that they would like to see in 1/96th scale in production I am thinking of doing two plugs and then I can lay up two molds at the same time to save time mixing and glassing. I just need a second hull chosen. I do have plans for the Prinz Eugen but I don't plan to produce that ship for now. There would have to be a LOAD of requests for it. I also have plans for the Iowa class but that's a bit large so I am looking for a ship in the PDN, DN, or cruiser classes to fill the second slot. If I get more than one offering or if I go ahead and buy plans I will put it to a vote. Seriously guys. This is HAPPINING! I am really looking forward to MAKING it happen lol.

17. rcaircraftnut

To check with it. Here are some choices I'll let you guys vote on it.

1) SoDak.
    2)Lord Nelson.
    3)Prinz Eugen.
    4)Gearing/Fletcher.
    5)Swiftsure class PDN.
    6)Mogador.
    7)Capitani Romani.
    8)Michigan.
    9)HMS Dreadnot.
    10)Arizona.
    11)Potempkin.
    12)King Edward VII/Katori class.
    A few of those were admittedly thrown in to round out the list lol. If I missed something you would like to see let me know and I will add it to the list for consideration.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  18. NASAAN101

Gearing.. the only 96 scale ship i have is my Artemis!
    Nikki

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  19. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Lord Nelson, but I also happen to be a fan of predreads. ;)

20. pba

pba Active Member

I think the fact that you are doing hulls is great. But give the size restrictions of most cars, I think predreds,
    destroyers,and small cruisers wold do.Most people I think wouldd not like a two peice ship

wfirebaugh likes this.