Fiberglass hulls.

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by rcaircraftnut, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Well went to the yard to go back to work and the rig wasn't done. I've lost aver 20 days in the last 40 to these issues so I quit. Can't afford to do this anymore. So I am going to find some stupid little job here local to pay bills till the shop opens. Wish me luck in a speedy recovery. Lol.

Boatmeister and Beaver like this.
  2. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Nut!
    I"m so so so sorry! Let me know if there anything i can do! how do you feel about me trying to find something here in Pittsburgh for you?? its up to you ok! I know your taken care of your mom and Dad.. I just tho i would ask.
    Nikki

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  3. rcaircraftnut

I am NOT moving. HELL NO!

Just built a shop why on EARTH would I move haha.

4. NASAAN101

It was worth a try. Whats sucks more then anything. Is im on my own hwre in pittsburgh :-(
    Nikki

5. rcaircraftnut

As are 90% of those of us who do this hobby. I wouldn't move to ANY major city let alone Pittsburgh. I like where I live and have no interest in moving ANYWHERE.

6. rcaircraftnut

Well I am out in the shop glassing bass boat parts and getting just about ready to glass this air boat hull so I can finally complete and use it.

7. rcaircraftnut

Got the bottom of the air boat glassed. Hope to get it sanded and the top side glasses tomorrow after job hunting. Wish me luck on my hunt.

Beaver likes this.
  8. rcaircraftnut

Well apperantly I pulled a muscle in my neck yesterday while flying. One of the guys lost it and went over the pits and I snapped my head around to acquire the aircraft so as to be able to dodge if needed. Now I can barely turn my head lol. How annoying it is growing older.

9. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Getting old ain't for sissy's!!!

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. rcaircraftnut

At least I was able to get the guys name and Addy who was the last registered owner of my boat. Through Facebook I was able to get a current phone number and leave him a msg. He only lives about 45 mins away. Fingers crossed he calls me back.

11. rcaircraftnut

Still not better after 2 days. I may have to go see the saw bones. Lol. Been forcing myself to keep going and doing though as I can't just lay about, too much going on at the moment.

12. rcaircraftnut

Got hold of the P.O. and he's supposed to be meeting me today.

13. rcaircraftnut

Hot the bill of sale signed. Yay! Now I can get back to building this thing. Found some rotted wood in the bow that the bow eye anchors to. So I have some more work to do to fix that and get the bow eye solid again. Got the dowel pins to plug the old holes in the transom. Just need some bolts and some aluminum plate and I can mount the engine.

14. rcaircraftnut

Got the engine mounting figured out, just need to get the correct bolts. Ran out of resin again so I'm at a standstill on glassing. I do have the Marine tex so I plan to start prepping the hull in the morning for the Marine tex repairs. Do what I can rather than sit around doing nothing on it. Lol.
    Here's where I'm at as of today.

0916181445.jpg

0916181445a.jpg

0916181418.jpg

Its getting done, just not fast enough lol.

15. rcaircraftnut

Job sorted. Back to work at 7am tomorrow.

dietzer and Beaver like this.
  16. rcaircraftnut

Well now I need to replace the steering column in the Blazer. Its drivable, but not pleasant as the upper bearing is gone now and the column housing is cracked. As well as having no connection from the key to the switch so I have to push the rod manually. Not very secure either lol.
    Got the glass work done this afternoon on the bow eye area of the bass boat. Been raining for the last 4 days strait. Got a break so I got er done lol. Will drill the hole and reinstall the bow eye this weekend. I need to get a new stainless steel bolt for it. Not even gonna do what the last idiot did and use allthread so it can rust again lol.

17. rcaircraftnut

Had so much rain the boat filled up and the trailer jack sank in the mud lol. Had not intended to leave it there this long so didn't use a block under it. MISTAKE! Lol. Had to use my highlift jack to get it up lol. Lots of water in it. Bilge was full. I really need to get my awning up off the front of the shop. Going to order the tin this weekend. Will try to build it the next weekend weather permitting.

18. NASAAN101

Nut,
    I'm so Over Rain!
    nikki

19. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I did that when I lived in Key West, had a 23 ft boat on a trailer in my front yard, and a tropical storm came through and filled the boat with water. I thought the tires were going to pop, and the trailer jack stand sank about a foot, only the underlying coral stopped it from going any further. Took hours to drain all the water out, using the bilge pump, and pulling the drain plug.

20. rcaircraftnut

Got all the needed bolts yesterday as well as a nice jack plate setup so hopefully I can get the engine mounted to the boat today. Wish me luck.

Beaver likes this.